Shure e4 + X5 EQ help
Nov 17, 2005 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TonySunshine

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been lurking around the forums for a while and find them very helpful, so maybe you guys can help me with this. I recently got a pair of Shrue e4's to use with my Iaudio X5. I've been messing with the different tips and find that with the foam tips, the sound is excellent but the isolation and bass response isnt as good as the triple flanges and ultra soft silicone sleeves(grey ones). I try to use the triple flanges, but the response from my player is the highs are on certain songs shrill and unbearable, especially when the singer sing something with the sound 'ssss' in it, its piercing. I tried fooling around with the EQ and BBE, Mach3, etc settings, but it persists. I dont have this problem with the foam tips. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or maybe had a certain EQ and BBE setting that fixed this or perhaps my E4's are faulty? Most of my music is low bit rate(128-260, both CBR and VBR mp3), and I'm not using an amp, so the E4's are directly out of the X5 headout.

Thanks

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 4
hi,
along with the x5, this is exactly the problem that i had while the e4's were with me, i listen to quite a lot of rock, and the highs were extremely fatiguing at times, almost unbearable at higher volumes. after searching on the forums, i found no cure for the "steely" highs from the X5, fiddling around with the EQ, i did manage to add a little bass, it helped but also introduced slight audible distortion at the lower end, fiddling around with BBE or the enhancer only worsened the bright highs of the e4, the "sss" sound you're refering to, i believe that is sibilance and i found it rather strong on the E4 from the X5
judging by the music i listen to, i needed more bass in my IEM, and have consequently shifted over to the X5 + UM2 combo, enjoying the fuller sound thoroughly and currently not using any EQ or effects on the X5
i'm not quite sure whether there is a cure to this apart form adding an amp, refer to catsratch's comments in a couple of threads discussing this, that should help
good luck,
cheers

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySunshine
Hey, I've been lurking around the forums for a while and find them very helpful, so maybe you guys can help me with this. I recently got a pair of Shrue e4's to use with my Iaudio X5. I've been messing with the different tips and find that with the foam tips, the sound is excellent but the isolation and bass response isnt as good as the triple flanges and ultra soft silicone sleeves(grey ones). I try to use the triple flanges, but the response from my player is the highs are on certain songs shrill and unbearable, especially when the singer sing something with the sound 'ssss' in it, its piercing. I tried fooling around with the EQ and BBE, Mach3, etc settings, but it persists. I dont have this problem with the foam tips. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or maybe had a certain EQ and BBE setting that fixed this or perhaps my E4's are faulty? Most of my music is low bit rate(128-260, both CBR and VBR mp3), and I'm not using an amp, so the E4's are directly out of the X5 headout.

Thanks

Comparatively, the e4's exhibit little to no sibilance on properly recorded songs, to my ears. If a song is poorly recorded or at a low bitrate, then you will likely begin to hear sibilance and other artifacts of the compression. If the problem is compresion, then none of the x5's effects are going to help that. If you are still finding sibilance on high bitrate songs, then you might want to look at a canalphone with a more recessed high end. Try some cds or a high quality source, if you can, and see if the problem is still there.

Not to sound like a um2 hater, but the um2's are actually the worst at sibilance control of the canalphones I've had, so I'm not sure those are the best option. As long as you don't eq up the treble much, though, it shouldnt be much of an issue.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Hey Jmmmm, I think you're right. I ripped some mp3's at 320 VBR and they sound awesome. The screeching problem is only with the low bit stuff and sometimes the live recordings. Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back