Shure E4 Vs TF10
Dec 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

backtofront001

100+ Head-Fier
So like most other people I jumped on the Triple Fi 10 sale. Now I am wondering whether to even open the box when I get them. I have Shure E4's and absolutely love them. Have had them for about 4 years now and they are wearing out physically however they still sound like the day i got them, perfect! My dilemma is whether to use or sell the TF10's. I am very fond of IEM's and would keep them if they are a significant improvement over the E4's.

So, can someone who has heard both please tell how they differ from each other amped and unamped.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 20
I loved E4's when I had them but I think you will much prefer the sound of TFP. It is a bigger and more dynamic sound while still staying on the somewhat neutral side that E4 is much like. TFP has much larger soundstage as well.

Both IEM's act similarly whether amped or unamped. TFP's are larger and may propose more fit problems than the E4. But for $99 I would definitely keep the TFP. It's a steal !!!

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 20
u could always open them up, try them for a week and see if you like it

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 20
uhh, Balanced armature drivers don't need burn in.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhh, Balanced armature drivers don't need burn in.

Thats actually what I thought as well, someone mentioned burning them in, so I was asking

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 20
The E4 is a good earphone with good detail and a touch of brightness. It suffers from a rolled off bottom end but does everything else well. I just received the TF10 from the Amazon sale as well. In comparison, the TF10 is fuller bodied and more natural sounding. It is not quite as seamless top to bottom but the sound is more satisfying. Still, I don't think I am getting a full seal. The earpieces are rather large and uncomfortable in my small ears. However, for the price, I think they are a great value. I think they are worth trying. Sell them if you don't like them.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 20
i still have e4c and I love its mid and details sometimes I even prefer it over se530.
I also have tried TF10 before i returned it for se530
TF10 had really interesting sound signature but I thought it was too bright
but now I kinda miss it
luckily I was able to order 1 again at much lower price recently =-)
This time I'm going to keep them all lol
personally, I'd keep them both until I get sick of either one and then sell it.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 20
I currently own both the Triple.fi 10s and the Shure E4Cs. To my tastes, the Triple.Fi 10s are much more lively, more open, have a larger sound stage, and have a wider frequency response. Plus, they are easier to drive than the E4Cs, meaning the volume will be louder at lower settings. Nothing in my earphone line up matches the brute force visceral 20-50Hz bass I can get from my Triple.Fi 10s. I can feel the low bass in my ears the way I can feel it from a loudspeaker. To my ear, the mid bass, mid range, and high frequency spectrum is nicely balanced, with a nice high extension. The Triple.Fi 10s are quite neutral, nearly matching my Westone UM3Xs.

I don't have an amp, so I can't give you a comparison when amped.

I bought the E4Cs when they were selling for $300. I purchased the Triple.Fi 10s at the same price (obviously not the recent great Amazon sale). I just purchased a backup pair of the Triple.Fi 10s on the recent great Amazon sale. I don't have a backup of the E4Cs.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 20
I have a pair of Shure SCL4 which I think are the same as the E4cs. They were just recently replaced with the TripleFi 10s. They have pretty different sound signatures with the mids being a bit recessed on the TF10, but over all I think the TF10s are a much better sounding earphone. I wouldn't call them a "basshead" IEM personally, but they are definitely not bass-light and coming from the SCL4/e4c I think you will really appreciate the low end on the TripleFi - they really have no troubles reaching all the way down to 20Hz.

Definitely give them some time - balanced armature drivers aren't supposed to be affected by "burn in" but many people have found them unpleasant initially only to really love them once they get 10-20 hours on the drivers. I had the same experience, but I suspect it's just really use the listener getting used to the sound of the earphone.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 20
I had the E4G, (same as E4c, but Black, and meant for Gaming..hence the G). Was Satisfied and thought they were great for a while, until my friend in the Army let me listen to his E5c. I immediately bought a pair of E5c and sold the E4. A year went by with listening to the E5 then just decided the sound was not enough to keep me interested in my music, and would rather hear music through FM and speakers than try to make myself like the sound of the High-er-end E5's, which at the time I paid $450 for.
Its been a couple months of EVERYDAY listening to the TF-10(aka)IE-40 and I hate it when I have to go to work or be doing something that does not allow me to analyze my Audio collection that gets bigger everyday.
I am really thinking about getting a custom Multi-Driver IEM now that I've heard Fidelity like this on the TF-10.
Burn-In may not be proven to exist in BA Drivers, but since the MTBF is so great on IEMS, adding an initial 200-HRS of white/pink noise or your fav music can do nothing but assure you, and you wont be wondering if the sound is going to change later on.

If after a week or Two, you are not satisfied somehow, I could use another pair for my Girl to listen to...since I mist that awesome Amazon Deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back