shure e4.. time to go?
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ramstryke

Head-Fier
how dated is this iem? I am looking to get a better set, possibly better bass, and more clarity for classical.. range about $300 or less..

I havent been on here for a while and am not sure if the e4 sucks by today's standards..

I appreciate any help any can provide..

oh, this is to pair up with my incoming sony 639f

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 12
yea, $300 is really going out there for me... never thought I would consider such an extravagant earphone, but I want to be sure I get one that is superb... will the sony 639f even do them justice, I dont know...

my problem is that I'm all over the place, classical, pop, trance, rock.. you name it.

of course comfort is another aspect, and I spend a lot of time on planes..

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 12
I had two sets and they were my main portable earphones for the last 3+ years; enjoyable, refined and detailed but not tonally balanced; to much midhigh and not enough bass for my taste (mainly on the Sony A808). Recently the second pair broke and I bought the sleek SA6s; the difference is big; the SA6s are considerably better to my ears; better bass, more dynamic, more detail, and to my ears, far more music.
The E4s are enjoyable, but since the Sleeks can be had for $200-250, the sleeks are clearly better value. Unless you find a very good offer for the E4s...

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 12
Etymotic ER-6i, ER-4P and HF5 mates very nicely with the newer Sony Network Walkmen. But they don't have more bass than the E4c.

SA6 is a good suggestion, especially since the sound is adjustable via the nozzles and ports.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 12
I just moved from the Shure e4c to Westone 3. I am really enjoying the new IEM. The one thing i noticed when i got the Westone 3 is that it much more finicky in comparison to the e4c. The right fit makes all the difference but in the end the Westone 3 are much more comfortable and sound allot better.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 12
If you like E4's sound signature and more bass, SE420 is the way to go, but they still have rolled off high though. I did like E4 at all when I owned them but I think SE420 are fine

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 12
what exactly does a "rolled off" high sound like.. I see a lot of people use that term..

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 12
You really want to avoid 420's: they're overpriced and I almost fell into that trap. To be honest with a budget of $300 you have some much better options: Westone 3's at a stretch perhaps? - Other brands make great headphones. - It just seems stupid to get 420's when you can get 500's at a fraction more. - Perhaps consider buying used? This will enable you to get more 'bang for your buck' what ever you decide. Be sure to seek some advice and read some reviews. UE-10's seem like a good choice too.

Just remember with $300 you are nearing the upper end of the audio spectrum, and could consider custom monitors such as Livewires.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 12
yea im kinda leaning towards:

se530
ue tf10
um2

not sure im feeling how the ue's stick out your ear though..

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 12
They stick out a fair margin further than the 530's, however probably marginally out do the 530's provided you can get a good fit. The SE530's are the most comfortable of the lot though. I would avoid the UM2's they don't seem to get the praise that the 530's and 10's get. - If you are looking at Westone it seems that the 3's are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back