Shure E4 starting to crackle
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

N0torious

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been using my shure e4's for about 6months. But for some reason the right earplug starts to ''crackle'' after about 5mins of play... sometimes its instantly and sometimes it doesnt have this problem..

any1 know what might be causing this? I've cleaned them, so filth shouldn't be a issue...

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the cable is shorting.

hmm when i twist and bend the cables during play, i dont notice anything... so i doubt its the cable?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 10
actually sounds like a cable problem. had something similar with my ER6i in that sometimes it would be there and sometimes not. After a while one side just stopped having music heard on it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0torious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm when i twist and bend the cables during play, i dont notice anything... so i doubt its the cable?

The short could be anywhere, it's sometimes hard to pinpoint. It might be inside the housings too.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 10
It depends how you term 'crackle'...

My Klipsch X10 crackle (I really should send them in for a warranty repair!!), but it is a deformation within the armature... does the crackle happen more with bass, or is it more of a distortion (where the whole sound can crackle / fizzle)?

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends how you term 'crackle'...

My Klipsch X10 crackle (I really should send them in for a warranty repair!!), but it is a deformation within the armature... does the crackle happen more with bass, or is it more of a distortion (where the whole sound can crackle / fizzle)?

Well, must say the overall sound has gotten worse, its more noticable at high volume. Doesnt matter if its a bassy track or not..

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 10
N0torious...

If it is in any way volume related, I would say it is a failing driver...

I would contact Shure and ask them about a warranty repair / replacement... (I see your prediciment re purchase... This is a grey area admittedly... although Shure are generally very good with their customer service - I assume you have the original receipt??)

The symptoms don't even sound like an easy fix (filter / tip replacement) as - when my filters went south, all that happened was that the sound got quieter / darker... and didn't "distort"...

I hope it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
N0torious...

If it is in any way volume related, I would say it is a failing driver...

I would contact Shure and ask them about a warranty repair / replacement... (I see your prediciment re purchase... This is a grey area admittedly... although Shure are generally very good with their customer service - I assume you have the original receipt??)

The symptoms don't even sound like an easy fix (filter / tip replacement) as - when my filters went south, all that happened was that the sound got quieter / darker... and didn't "distort"...

I hope it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Thnx Duncan, just mailed shure (fingers crossed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back