Shure E4 sleeves falling off
Feb 23, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 20
Sorry to go off topic guys but,
I have seen the Comply Foam tips for UM2/UM1 and it says they fit E4c too which i currently have, are they better in terms of SQ or last longer as opposed to the Shure yellow foam tips ?
Does anyone tried comapring them, I basicly think that the best tips for the E4c is the yellow foamies, but they get durty and very quickly.
I am talking about Thise Comply tips
Thanks

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krakow
I've experienced this several times with my Shure E3c's and it definitely puts me off using them.

I use the medium grey Soft Flex Sleeves.

I use the technique of pulling up on my ear while removing them, but still find that sometimes the sleeve will slip off the earphone and stay in my ear. It happens if I've had them in for a relatively long period of time (a couple of hours continuously say) and haven't washed the sleeves for a couple of days.

Two times I've had to go to the doctors and get a nurse to remove them for me, because my fiddling to get them out had driven the sleeve further in and twisted it about.

I find that removing the sleeves and washing them (which I do just in plain warm water by rubbing them with my hands), will reduce the chance of the sleeves getting stuck for a while, but then it returns after a couple of days of use if I don't remember to wash them again soon enough.

The issue quite puts me off using the Shures, which is upsetting seeing as how I spent so much money on them.

I read somewhere that after acclimatising using the Soft Flex Sleeves, switching to the clear Flex Sleeves would not only provide greater isolation, but may also help alleviate the problem of the sleeves getting stuck in the ear.

You described the situation I had with E3C to a tee. I couldn't have stated it better. That was the reason I returned them for a new pair, and then sold them.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 20
When I don't clean the soft flex sleeves they slip easily off of my E4 stems. I use these sleeves almost exclusively now, and the trouble pops up after I've had a long listen (or gone to bed listening to them) without having cleaned them prior to that use. After such a long usage, it's always a good idea to clean them. Here's how I handle them:

After a short listen, I usually wipe the outside of the sleeves with tissue paper. Every now and then, I wipe a liquid antiseptic onto detached sleeves and allow to air dry.

Weekly, or more often if I am listening alot, I detach the sleeves and immerse them in soap water. Using a toothpick, I rub the soap inside the stem. I rub the sleeves in my fingers a bit, then rinse with water, using the toothpick to ensure all the soap has been removed from inside the stem. I then dry the sleeves with a towel and squeeze any remaining water out of the stem, leaving the sleeves to air dry. After wiping the E4 stems with a cloth, the sleeves are attached and voilá - just like new. No slippage!

(OK, maybe I'm becoming an earphone freak...
icon10.gif
)

In the event that the sleeves do get stuck in the ear, I've found that tweezers or the pliers on swiss army knives make extraction a relatively easy self-operation. Just be patient and gentle!

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 20
Long-term sleeve use can result in them sliding off as the material that the soft fit sleeves are made out of does absorb water, becoming bigger (and therefore less likely to fit tightly).

I used to replace foam sleeves after three full days of use and the soft fit sleeves after a month regardless of whether I had used them often or not, with at least a weekly clean. Never had problems with tips sliding off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back