Shure E4 or Westone UM2
Jul 19, 2005 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Electric_Mofo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've been thinking about upgrading from my E2c for a mounth now and I was dead sure about purchasing the Westone UM2. But from looking at all the great comments about the E4, I'm beginning to think that they might be a good chioce aswell. Since I have had no experience with either of them I am relying on opinions from people that maybe have tried both or know abit about both of them to give an opinion. I will be listening to Rock, Hip-Hop, Reggae, Jazz so Could someone please tell me which canalphone would be better suited for these types of music. Also are the Westone UM2 far superior thanthe Shure E4 or are the differance only obvious to someone with golden ears?

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 23
Depends on what you are looking for. UM2's have better bass response. There are two drivers. Most two drivers canals are better range then one driver. If you want a more neutral or true sound go with the e4's. Personally I think most find the UM2 to sound better. But then again you aren't most and you need to make the call.

-Chris

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 23
I'd take the UM2's over the E4's, they sound better to my ears than the E5 does. I think both the UM2 and E4 could use some mild EQ in the upper end to bring out some of the highs, but the impact of the bass over the E4's is unmistakeable.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Personally I think most find the UM2 to sound better.

Who else has tried both and preferred the um2?

I had the 5pro's and um2's when I bought the e4c's (because I was curious). Now the um2's are sold and I don't use the 5pro's. Obviously I much prefer the e4c to the um2 and 5pro. The um2's bass is impressive, but I think the e4 is better in all other ways.

The biggest problem with the um2, imo, is the recessed highs. Whenever I would switch from full headphones -> um2's, I was always disappointed (even when boosting the treble as much as 7db). I had to wait 20 or so minutes to 'forget' what the headphones sounded like before I could be ok with the um2's. This is not true with the e4c's, which have much better treble. I have actually found myself choosing to listen to the e4c's at home, which I didn't expect. I use the 'acoustic' eq on my ipod, and I don't think the bass is lacking in any sense.

Also, the guy who I sold my um2's had the e4's. After he got them, he said he also preferred the e4's. The e4's are just the most balanced canalphone out there, imo.

Now if you are a basshead, then the um2's are the way to go. If you want a balanced presentation, the e4's are better.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 23
well, let me put this way.

UM2 is like you are standing few inch beside your subwoofer, and e4c is like you standing at the center of all your speakers and subwoofer.

The UM2 has recessed treble because the bass is just so damn strong, but if you listen carefully the trebles are all there.

If you are the person who prefer balanced presentations, go for e4c.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 23
I'm liking the idea of the balanced presentation of the E4 and I'm pleased to hear that people find that they have better treble than the UM2. How is the bass with the E4?, I currently own Shure E2 and I find the bass Ok'ish but slightly lacking when combined with My Sony Vaio pocket. Do the E4's improve in the bass department or is it more or less the same as the E2c's. One more thing, do the Shure's have a good sounstage compared to the UM2's?

Thanks for your replies, I would like to try them both out but that would be almost impossible without purchasing.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
I currently own Shure E2 and I find the bass Ok'ish but slightly lacking when combined with My Sony Vaio pocket. Do the E4's improve in the bass department or is it more or less the same as the E2c's.

The E4 isn't a big difference in terms of quantity of bass. Quality of bass, yes, but they are not going to knock your socks off in terms of thumping bass, especially unamped.

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

I'm liking the idea of the balanced presentation of the E4 and I'm pleased to hear that people find that they have better treble than the UM2. How is the bass with the E4?, I currently own Shure E2 and I find the bass Ok'ish but slightly lacking when combined with My Sony Vaio pocket. Do the E4's improve in the bass department or is it more or less the same as the E2c's. One more thing, do the Shure's have a good sounstage compared to the UM2's?

Well, if you want more bass than the e2c's, I don't think the e4's will give it to you. It's been too long since I've heard the e2c's, but I think people have said there is a little less on the e4's (though it is tighter and 'better' bass). Someone who has compared them directly would probably be able to answer that better. I've found that an amp helps, on the ipod at least.

As for soundstage, I think the e4c's soundstage is pretty good for canalphones. I can't say which is better between the um2 and e4c, though.

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 23
As for the E2c/E4c comparison: I A/B'd these two just last week and I would echo what Jmmmmm says. The E2's sound darker, more bass heavy with recessed highs. E4's are very balanced and accurate across the whole soundstage, but several people here (myself included) are disappointed in the level of bass when paired with certain unamped portable sources, especially the iPod. I'm not sure how your Sony Vaio pocket would perform in that department. If you're looking for "more" bass out of the E4's, you might be unhappy without external amplification. I have not heard the UM2 so can't comment.

Not to threadjack, but Jmmmmm: how do you like the sound of your E4c's coming out of the iPod/PocketAmp v2? I'm looking at this model for my first foray into portable amps and wondered if it would fit the bill or just leave me wanting something better/more expensive?

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 23
Here is one thing that I can say about canal phones and what I like. There is no really comparison to canals and headphones. I use canals on the go and headphones when I can sit(office or at home). Recently I started using the UE-10s at home. But before that point I really didn’t. Canals are used on the go. So what does that mean. Well for me it means I use them for entertainment and not critical listening. So I find that movement, talking, outside noise comes into play when listening. I guess I could turn them up higher to try drown out these noises but I don’t want to lose my hearing. Lol..

So I prefer to have bass to drown out these noises. I still find it hard to have all the detail in the UE-10 when I am walking. Because I question whether noises are part of the song, part of outside noise, or part body movement, or bad file. For this reason I tend to use the bass boast on the SuperMacro to drown out these noises. Well a little. This is why I go for the Um2 instead of the e4s. Just my opinion.

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Thanks for the replies, I starting to lean in favour of the UM2's because of the bass. I was very dissapointed with the bass on my E2c's so I think that the E4's would'nt satisfy me either. Sorry to go off a little but how do the E5c's compare, are they E4's with extra bass?

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 23
E5s are alittle leaner in the bass when compared to the Um2s. But I think of these two models are being very close to one another. I think the fit of the Um2s is better. Usually one can get the Um2 for cheaper and I would go with them.

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the replies, I starting to lean in favour of the UM2's because of the bass. I was very dissapointed with the bass on my E2c's so I think that the E4's would'nt satisfy me either. Sorry to go off a little but how do the E5c's compare, are they E4's with extra bass?

Coming from the e2c's, you would be amazed by the um2's. Not only does it have more bass, but it has more treble also. I came from the e2c's and was extremely happy with the purchase (until eventually I started wanting more treble). The um2's are a huge leap up from the e2c's. When I was researching at the time, people said they were basically flatter versions of the e5's, with more treble. I never heard the e5's, but I think it's safe to go with the um2's. The e5's are not e4's with more bass. The e4 is a sort of a departure from the shure sound, imo (a departure towards balance).
The um2's are also the most comfortable canalphones that I've tried. So for you, I think you should go with the um2's.

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Thank you for your advice, It would be nice if I could hear both of them and decide for myself but I cant. I will probably get the UM2's now due to the bass performane and to be honest I'm not that much of a fan of treble. The UM2's sound more suited towards Hip-Hop and Reggae so It looks like I will settle for them.

Thanks for the help

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Thank you for your advice, It would be nice if I could hear both of them and decide for myself but I cant. I will probably get the UM2's now due to the bass performane and to be honest I'm not that much of a fan of treble. The UM2's sound more suited towards Hip-Hop and Reggae so It looks like I will settle for them.

You can always EQ the UM2s to bring out the treble while still keeping that full, rich bass. Works quite well. You can't, however, EQ the E4s to have the amount of bass that the UM2s have. I say go for the UM2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back