Shure E4 or Ultimate Ears 5Pro for Sony PSP
Sep 20, 2005 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wwyjoe

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all, i've narrowed down to the above 2 pairs of earphones for my Sony PSP. My usage is abt 60% music and video, 40% games. Which is a better combo? Appreciate any feedback...thanks!

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Currently, i'm using the Sony EX71. While its a good earphone for its price, i'm looking for a 'higer fidelity' earphone, which is why i came to know the Shure and UE. Based on the comments so far, seems like the UE has more bass and soundstage, so which areas is the Shure E4 a better performer than the UE 5Pro?

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwyjoe
Currently, i'm using the Sony EX71. While its a good earphone for its price, i'm looking for a 'higer fidelity' earphone, which is why i came to know the Shure and UE. Based on the comments so far, seems like the UE has more bass and soundstage, so which areas is the Shure E4 a better performer than the UE 5Pro?

IMO, the E4 performs better in all other areas, including detail, neutrality, quickness, and even bass clarity (but not quantity).

However, I think the sf5p's strengths make it a more "fun" IEM.

EDIT: Do a search on both and you'll find a wealth of info.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 16
For music, I'd recommend the E4 hands down (clarity, imaging, and detail), but for games...the SF5P would be the better choice (lot's more bass and impact).

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 16
dont mix up with the SF5P and the UE 5Pro.
the UE 5Pro is a custom made product, as the Shure E4 and the UE SF5P are not.
they are not exactly in the same 'league'.

regards gordon

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonHo
dont mix up with the SF5P and the UE 5Pro.
the UE 5Pro is a custom made product, as the Shure E4 and the UE SF5P are not.
they are not exactly in the same 'league'.

regards gordon

sorry! The Ultimate Ears model i've been inquiring in these threads is the SF5Pro...thanks

So back to my question, does the Sony EX71 provide more bass (in terms of quantity) than the Shure E4 or SF5Pro? Tks

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Did you just say the word "boink"?
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwyjoe
Thanks all. Just a last question, how does the bass in terms of quantity from the Shure 4 and UE 5Pro compare to the Sony EX71?

The Shure E4 does not have as much bass as the EX71, but what is there is tight and controlled. I mean I feel bad even writing the two headphones in the same sentence as the E4 is stratospheres above the EX71 that it's embarrasing to even compare the two. The EX71 is also less efficient than the E4 and the output on the PSP isn't all that high to start with.

As for the the SF5P...I would say it's between the EX71 and the E4 in terms of sound. It has ample bass like the EX71, but much deeper and controlled, but has staging and detail more akin to the E4 (but the amount of bass tends to smear the mids and highs a bit compared to the E4, but is still leagues above the EX71).

The EX71 is about 1/3 the cost of the other two. Its performance is similarly discounted relative to the others.

My recommendation stands with the SF5P for the PSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back