Shure E4/E500 Universal Foam inserts too small.
Nov 21, 2006 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gmckay

100+ Head-Fier
I contacted Shure to see if there is a slightly larger foam insert than the 'one size fits all' universal.

The medium soft silicone inserts fit and seal very well, however I find that with the foam, the comfort and even the sonic quality is much more pleasant. Unfortunately for me, the foams are just a bit too small and after a few hours I loose the seal.

To my delight, the Shure customer service indicated that they will be releasing a larger sized foam insert in February, but in the meantime will send me a pair today for my trial and feedback.

I'll post pics when I receive them and let you know the results.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the link...if the new Shures don't fit better, the Complys will be next.

I suppose my ear canals are just not quite suited for the universal foams, even when I put them in as far as I can get them in.

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 14
etymoitic do a medium foam that is slightly wider and about twice as long as the shure ones (black), and a massive yellow one.
i reccommend trying the massive yellow ones.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Well, the new foam inserts have arrived as promised by the Shure rep for evaluation.

Here's a few pics of what they look like in comparison to the various other available Shure ear inserts.

http://picasaweb.google.com/geoff.mc...NewFoamInserts

I am completely satisfied with the way these new large foamies fit. The seal actually is better than the soft tips, which allowed me to experience a dynamic range unlike ever!

As the new foams are contoured (not cut square like the yellow foamies, the comfort is far greater than ever.

So, lets hope these evaluation pair last until February when they are scheduled for release.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 14
I bought a set of the complys to try out and they really muffled the sound, so i went back to the tri-flanges.
etysmile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a set of the complys to try out and they really muffled the sound, so i went back to the tri-flanges.
etysmile.gif

YMMV, but I got very good results from Comply slim foamies. I'm currently using Shure universal foamies for the best comfort + sound. Definitely not the best isolation though.

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the new foam inserts have arrived as promised by the Shure rep for evaluation.

Here's a few pics of what they look like in comparison to the various other available Shure ear inserts.

I am completely satisfied with the way these new large foamies fit. The seal actually is better than the soft tips, which allowed me to experience a dynamic range unlike ever!

As the new foams are contoured (not cut square like the yellow foamies, the comfort is far greater than ever.

So, lets hope these evaluation pair last until February when they are scheduled for release.

The new foam inserts are the black ones that are on the last pic right ?

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 14
Are these the long awaited "olive" inserts that the shure fans have been talking about? I SHURE hope that someone posts when they become available for purchase. My E4s could use bigger foamies.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always liked the yellow foams, but same question,
my right ear seems to be larger and doesn't seal as well as the left ear.
The new foams look neat~
Maybe I should ask Shure for an evaluation as well
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back