Shure E4 cold feet
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 37
I use my E4c's out of my Iriver H320, I find the sound quality to be excellent, very tight bass and extremely detailed. Bass is certainly there, altho the bass boost helps a tad with some music...although I often just leave it on normal EQ. I've yet to try them through my Pocket amp mainly because I've recently purchased some Grado SR-225's which is my main headphone around the home at the moment. Although the shures always follow me to work!
biggrin.gif

One problem I have with mine though is the build quality, I have no idea how it happened but the other day when I opened the case, the rubber part that protects the wire as it enters the ear-piece was spilt in half
confused.gif
the wire is fine and the sound is the same. But it came off completely in my hand today though so the rubber bit slides up and down the wire...
frown.gif

I don't know what to do...I don't think it warrants me sending them to shure because its come away and they still work fine...I just thought they'd last longer than 2 months...funny thing is I hadn't used them in a week because of the new SR-225's.

Aug 11, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #32 of 37
I think I will try pairing them with the Sony NW-E407..

I remember reading a thread that the bass booster on that player worked well with the E-4's..

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #34 of 37
I really want an SMv3, I got some pretty good reviews when I researched on the board, but I have to save up more after the E4's because after I purchase my E4's , I'd have moths flying out of my wallet for a while.

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot
Not to crap on everybody here but the signal from the ipod line-out more then drives the E4. Any amp added to this setup will only function like a really expensive volume annuator (not sure abot the spelling, sorry).

Get the pocket dock and a shure volume control. Best signal (shortest path) you'll ever get from the ipod with low ohm cans. Try your phones directly in the pocket dock. If the music is louder the your normal amp volume level you are waisting (at least part of) your money.

Is this really true?? I'd like to hear some other opinions on this before I run out to RadioShack forthwith to buy a 1/8" coupler to connect my Shure E4's w/ attenuator straight to my lineout. It'd be nice not to have to deal with an extra amp if the difference in sound quality is neglible.

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #36 of 37
Theres no magic to it. It has to do with the special properties of the ipod line-out. It is very loud compared to other players. And the line-out signal is the clearest most uncoloured signal you can get from your ipod. Anything put between it and you phones will cause degradetion and add noise. Some people may prefere the colourization an amp will give, but it it worth having in mind that people tend to prefere the most expensive amps that colour the least. Why not skip it all together?
Works very well for all my low ohm cans including the koss 75 with ety adapter connected.

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot
Theres no magic to it. It has to do with the special properties of the ipod line-out. It is very loud compared to other players. And the line-out signal is the clearest most uncoloured signal you can get from your ipod. Anything put between it and you phones will cause degradetion and add noise. Some people may prefere the colourization an amp will give, but it it worth having in mind that people tend to prefere the most expensive amps that colour the least. Why not skip it all together?
Works very well for all my low ohm cans including the koss 75 with ety adapter connected.

Well, I'm not sure about the degradation, noise and added color, but I put this one to the test... and I can definitely state that my E4's sound MUCH better amped coming out of the line out than with no amp and just the volume attenuator. This is using a PA2V2, a so-called "budget" amp. Without it, the E4's sound flat and lifeless. The amp totally brings them to life, gives them more soundstage and adds a much needed boost to the low end. I seriously cannot go back to listening to these things unamped with my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back