Shure E4 cold feet
Aug 10, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #16 of 37
I wish I new what I now now! If I were you, I would consider spending a bit more on the E5c's. They totaly crank straight out of the iPod. The E4c's don't have the wider soundstage and sound quality of the E5c. On the other hand, an amp using the line out from the iPod would greatly improve the E4c's dramatically.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Estilo
Yes, I am getting an amp, an SM3 later on.

But for right now, I just want good sound.

Amped or unamped, the E4c is a sweet canalphone that will deliver very good sound.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Estilo
I listen to all kinds of rock, Nothing mainstream though. I like 70's rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.80's Metal like Metallica and Iron Maiden.

I also like Big Band Swing and Bebop. and a bit of Classical

If I were to put it in percentages.

70% Rock
25% Jazz and Bebop
5% Classical

I'm not Even Sure if I can afford them...
frown.gif
(The E4's)
I think I should Start Small... maybe. With like E3's.

I would get the super.fi 5 pro and then get an SMv3. This headphones sound good out of the ipod and better with SMv3. If you had the money I would consider the UM2's as well. Again with an amp UM2's will sound better. Bass is better then PX200s with either. UM2 the bass is going to be best.

Currently Estilo doesn't have an amp and looking to run the headphones from the jack out. Down the road is going to get an amp but not currently. Just a remember to some..
cool.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #20 of 37
I have the e4s and a porta corda. I like the e4s fine straight out of the iPod, but they are improved with the amp. I would not have cold feet here; get the e4s, then get an amp if you really want added ooomph, and be happy. I particularly agree with comments in posts #13 and #15.

Edit: I A/B'd my shure e4s and e5s today out of the porta corda, and am starting to think I prefer the e4s. The e5s were indeed fuller and richer and had far more bass, but the e4s were cleaner and faster and had more high-end detail. The sounds are quite different, and I think moods and tastes will vary for preferences, but the e4s have a nice, fast, clean sound, with tight bass that is quite good, IMO. I listen to hard alternative rock, by the way (alice in chains, incubus, a perfect circle, nirvana). If you prefer bass, then I think the e5s or from what folks say, the UM2 or the super5.pro would be the way to go. I bet even my own mood and preferences will vary like month to month or so as I switch off between these two. Right now, gun to my head, I'd take the e4 over the e5. Could change though, but that's why I'll likely hold onto both.

- walk

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 37
Thank you all, I'll follow the Advice of Getting the E4's then getting an SMv3 w/ line out.
Now I can't stop visiting Earphonesolutions. or Headroom at that Fact. I no longer fear this investment, but my Wallet Does
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll give some feedback on the Shure once I purchase and Recieve them, and once again thanks to you all.

Now I just need to find Interconnects....
biggrin.gif

PS- Now I know why it is important to have more than 2 Headphones.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #22 of 37
I am also a little gunshy about upgrading my portable rig from a hd-497 to the shure e4c's. I have grown very accustomed to the level of bass from the 497's, but I need the isolation and portability for plane flights/dorm room and so on. How big of a difference will there be?

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by soltari1
I am also a little gunshy about upgrading my portable rig from a hd-497 to the shure e4c's. I have grown very accustomed to the level of bass from the 497's, but I need the isolation and portability for plane flights/dorm room and so on. How big of a difference will there be?

What's your source?

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #25 of 37
I bought a used pair (a month old) so I'm assuming burn in isn't an issue..

But I tried mine on my Shuffle, didn't like the lack of bass.. Tried them on my PC with my PPA w/ bass booster (see sig for my set-up).. Still no "punch"..
frown.gif

They are very accurate and tight, but a little TOO accurate on the highs (I fouund them too strident)..

Honestly, my $25 Sony MDR-G56's that I had before, and which I did alot of side-by-side comparisons with over the last 3 days, provided a more well rounded listening experience..

I'm going to return them and seek a better alternative..

I would say my Ipod was the issue, but I've tried them amped to a PPA with a bass booster, and still no "punch"..

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug zdanivsky
I bought a used pair (a month old) so I'm assuming burn in isn't an issue..

But I tried mine on my Shuffle, didn't like the lack of bass.. Tried them on my PC with my PPA w/ bass booster (see sig for my set-up).. Still no "punch"..
frown.gif

They are very accurate and tight, but a little TOO accurate on the highs (I fouund them too strident)..

Honestly, my $25 Sony MDR-G56's that I had before, and which I did alot of side-by-side comparisons with over the last 3 days, provided a more well rounded listening experience..

I'm going to return them and seek a better alternative..

I would say my Ipod was the issue, but I've tried them amped to a PPA with a bass booster, and still no "punch"..

Interesting, I've read that the bass is improved out of the shuffle over the ipod.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #27 of 37
Not to crap on everybody here but the signal from the ipod line-out more then drives the E4. Any amp added to this setup will only function like a really expensive volume annuator (not sure abot the spelling, sorry).

Get the pocket dock and a shure volume control. Best signal (shortest path) you'll ever get from the ipod with low ohm cans. Try your phones directly in the pocket dock. If the music is louder the your normal amp volume level you are waisting (at least part of) your money.

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Will an Airhead also make it better?

I don't think so.. I didn't notice any improvement.. I bought a portable Pimeta to go with it, with a good quality mini-to-mini connector to go with it, and all it does is help with the volume, not the fidelity..

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot
Not to crap on everybody here but the signal from the ipod line-out more then drives the E4. Any amp added to this setup will only function like a really expensive volume annuator (not sure abot the spelling, sorry).

Get the pocket dock and a shure volume control. Best signal (shortest path) you'll ever get from the ipod with low ohm cans. Try your phones directly in the pocket dock. If the music is louder the your normal amp volume level you are waisting (at least part of) your money.

I tend not to go along with this theory.. The amp is there for much more then volume. It is there to bring light to the material you are listening to. You want to have a much greater amp then just to turn the headphones up to a good level. You don't want it to be close. I use my UE-10s with ipod and normally turn in up 1/3 of the way to listen to song loud. But with the SMv3 I get better quality sound. Bass is richer, Higher are more distinct. Attack is quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back