Shure E3's--- ehhh... back to ER6's?
Apr 5, 2005 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, after trying the Shure E3's last night, I wasn't too impressed with them... congested mids, very flat sounding, and the high end wasn't any better than the E2's (well, maybe 10%better, but negligible).

I'm thinking of going back to the ER6's... I tried them last year and only held onto them for a short time... but remember their sound signature-- much cleaner and clearer than what the E3's offered, super detailed, and when properly inserted, I got good bass (low bass though... nto real strong in the mid-bass area which is what the ear usually equates to "bassy").

I know I can grab them for around $95-100, which is cheaper than what I paid for the E3's... are there any deals cheaper than that on the ER6 lately? I'm not interested in the ER6i (can't stand that white color).

Anyone else try the E3's only to go over to the ER6's, or am I in the minority?

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 25
i love e3's and the mids are the best part. The bass is nice and clean. I fix the rolled of highs with a little treble boost. They buds are so comfortable and durable. How long have you had them and what is your source?

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 25
Don't forget to try a series resistor with the Shures. It will wake up the treble and get rid of the numb sound. A RS in line volume control will work fine for an experiment. With the resistor, they sound almost Ety-like, almost.

gerG

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 25
I had a chance to try the ER6 and E3c at the College Park meet the other day, and I much prefered the ER6 to the E3c. Both were much better than my E2c, and I liked the sound using a 120 ohm impedence adapter and amp (sr-71 especially) of all three much more than stock.

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 25
Plan 1? - Back to the Beyers?.....
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 25
I demo'ed both of them two not too long ago.

The ER6s have NO bass. I say this because I came from EX71s and we all know what their known for. This leaves the thin sounding trebble very pronounced and at times hurt my ears. The detail was fantastic (coming from EX71s remember) and you can really hear the separation in the instruments.

The E3cs was much better on the low end, though I like even more thump. I can't say that the mids are perfect. There is a hump in the mids, but they come out sounding clean, (on top of all the other sounds). When EQ'ed you can really clean things up and the E3cs sound great.

Other points, when EQ'ed the ER6s still have no bass, the ER6s feel like they are going to break, the ER6s are hard to put on and at times painful due to the vacum created in your ear.

I'm looking to get a pair of E4s when I can find them.

Peace

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by the terabyte
i agree with your description of the e3, definitely. unfortunately i didn't get a chance to try it in series with a resistor, though. what i did hear was pretty much unlistenable, in my opinion.

"Unlistenable"? That's either hyperbole or you had a bad pair. Do they compare to e5c's or UE's? No, but then they're not supposed to. I'm not sure how anyone can call them "unlistenable."

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
"Unlistenable"? That's either hyperbole or you had a bad pair. Do they compare to e5c's or UE's? No, but then they're not supposed to. I'm not sure how anyone can call them "unlistenable."

it certainly is possible that they were broken, but i doubt it. my reference portable canalphone would be the ER-4S and it is this to which i draw my comparisons (which are additionally colored by what type of sound i prefer). when i say "unlistenable," i don't mean literally, of course. however, for their price i didn't think the resulting sound was at all acceptable (and i paid $114 new). it is my opinion that too much sound quality was given up for the isolation and package, but if you are seeking these things, i would be forced to endorse them at this pricepoint as there really aren't any competitors.

please keep in mind that this site is comprised of people's opinions and nothing more. it's good that you post and disagree as it provides a more balanced representation for those reading this discussion after the fact.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by the terabyte
it certainly is possible that they were broken, but i doubt it. my reference portable canalphone would be the ER-4S and it is this to which i draw my comparisons (which are additionally colored by what type of sound i prefer). when i say "unlistenable," i don't mean literally, of course. however, for their price i didn't think the resulting sound was at all acceptable (and i paid $114 new). it is my opinion that too much sound quality was given up for the isolation and package, but if you are seeking these things, i would be forced to endorse them at this pricepoint as there really aren't any competitors.

please keep in mind that this site is comprised of people's opinions and nothing more. it's good that you post and disagree as it provides a more balanced representation for those reading this discussion after the fact.

No problem. I agree that differences of opinion make for more lively discourse on boards such as these. I simply took issue with your description of the e3c's as "unlistenable." I use them every day when commuting to work (3.5 miles round trip, walking in a very loud urban area). Isolation and (tiny) size are exactly what I am looking for.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicRydr
I demo'ed both of them two not too long ago.

The ER6s have NO bass. I say this because I came from EX71s and we all know what their known for. This leaves the thin sounding trebble very pronounced and at times hurt my ears. The detail was fantastic (coming from EX71s remember) and you can really hear the separation in the instruments.

The E3cs was much better on the low end, though I like even more thump. I can't say that the mids are perfect. There is a hump in the mids, but they come out sounding clean, (on top of all the other sounds). When EQ'ed you can really clean things up and the E3cs sound great.

Other points, when EQ'ed the ER6s still have no bass, the ER6s feel like they are going to break, the ER6s are hard to put on and at times painful due to the vacum created in your ear.

hard to get in, painful due to vacuum, and no bass are all causes/symptoms of a bad seal with the ER6's.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
hard to get in, painful due to vacuum, and no bass are all causes/symptoms of a bad seal with the ER6's.

Is it much more difficult to get a good seal with the er6's. With my shures it is easy weather I wear them straight through or over my ear. They are extremely comfortable and respond extremely well to eq. The sound is not fatiguing and all the detail is there. They have a really mellow somber kinda sound to them. The bass holds up when there is noise. With eq the shures can sound like almost anything, it seems like they etys don't have that type of flexibity.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 25
I recommend you listen to them more. I remember the first time I listened to them I compared them to my friends ER6i which is said to be better than the ER6. AT first it seemed to me like the ER6i was better, until I started to somehow notice a richer midrange, and fuller bass on the E3c (At first I though the E3 sounded nasal I guess would be the word). Later I also tried the ER4, and though these did have the best detail I had ever heard, they too sounded still thin in comparison to the E3c (The ER4 had a good vacumm like seal). Like I said I recommend you listen through them more, unless you are sure you want detail over anything else (E3 are detailed enough IMO). Just in case try the resistor, or equalize them as they are the most equalizable out of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back