Shure E3Cs - split cable!!!
Feb 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

affinityfalls

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Just wanted to pass on what a disappointing experience I've had with these headphones.
Here in the UK we pay around $250 for Shure E3cs - I had mine imported from the states for around $180 (eBay).

I have had them for around 4 months. I thought they were great in both sound quality and isolation and were quite a step up from the seinheisser PX100s I was using before. I used them for commuting and working out along with my trusty 1gb iRiver T20 (best flash player ever by the way).

I recently noticed the cable has split on the left earplug just a few cm before the plug itself and causes the audio to cut out randomly. I have tryed PVC tape but doesnt really work as I wear them 'over and round' the ear, so the cable is always bending and moving around where the damage is.

They were bought on eBay so I do not have a proper receipt which voids any warranty claim I might have. Even if I did have a receipt I would have to ship them to the states for repair right? Hardly seems worth the trouble given shipping costs and risks.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the shure e series? Can you recommend anything to help soothe the pain?? I think I'll try another brand next time I have $200 to spend on headphones.
mad.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Well I've had my e3c for over a year and in that time they've developed only 1 fault-the right driver was beginning to fail. This is happening right now and I should have a new set in the next few days. Prior to that, I somehow managed to break one of the nozzles off, but Shure had no problem sending me a brand new set (new box and accessories) very quickly. The pair I intially bought were off eBay and the warranty is still honoured by Shure.

You should call Shure up and see what they say.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by affinityfalls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were bought on eBay so I do not have a proper receipt which voids any warranty claim I might have.

Shure will honor the 2 year warranty, without a receipt, as long as the date code stamped on the jack shows that the unit was manufactured within the last 2 years. Shure's warranty service is really top notch.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the response guys...
Shadow - When you broke your nozzle, did you have to send them back to the states? How long did it take for them to be replaced?

That's great news about shures warranty - sounds like a dream compared to when I was trying to get my ipod video's screen replaced by apple... But thats a different story...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers again!

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by affinityfalls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you broke your nozzle, did you have to send them back to the states? How long did it take for them to be replaced?
Cheers again!

No. The seller was UK based (as far as I can remember) and I don't think you'll have to return them to the States anyway-I'm guessing the eBay seller location has no implication on warranty. What you do is call Shure, the friendly chap will give you a number, send in your defective item with the necessary details (the aforementioned number, address, state what the problem is) and Shure should send you brand new pair very soon. The first time around, I got my new e3c back in less than a week. I just sent my current defective pair last Friday-lets see how quick it arrives.

Shure does have excellent after sales service.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Ohh man, wow 250$ for the e3's? Good lord you can get the e4's for cheaper.

Shure should honor the warranty stamped on the plug. The numbers shown there show the product date when it was made. To know the date you just take the number and the first 3 digits are the day and the last digit is the 6. For example, mine is 1026, which is the 102nd day in 2006.

Good luck mate, hope you get those fixed and back in your ears soon.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure will honor the 2 year warranty, without a receipt, as long as the date code stamped on the jack shows that the unit was manufactured within the last 2 years. Shure's warranty service is really top notch.

x2, Shure warranty is awesome.
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 12
How times will it take before Shure stops making their cables out of tire-rubber? It seems only a few days goes by before another Shure customer posts their worries about their IEM cables. If only they switched to braided cables (like Westone), we'd have good sound and reliability.

I sure hope Shure reads these posts.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 12
my e2 has similar problem but they are out of the 2-year warrenty period. I am debating whether to send it in for repair or not.

For me, the wire near the headphone jack causes static noice when they are moved so I tied it up to reduce movement which only help a bit.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 12
I agree that the shure customer service is great, I got my e2c's replaced in one week, but as the failure always seems to be the cable surround material (me too), they would be much better off doing some serious materials research and just use something else.

talk about doing things backwards!!

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Wow thanks for all the response on my thread guys.

It all sounds good, now should I call Shure Europe or Shure USA?? The headphones were imported from the states but I'm based in the UK...

Thats a shame about the cables... Are the higher end ones like the 500s made of the same material?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back