shure e3c's and burn in
May 4, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Davie

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there any definitive word on whether burn in is possible with these? I've had them for a few months and my impression is that they're sounding alot better now than at the beginning. I'm pretty sure this isn't purely a matter of getting used to them since I actually spend most of my time listening to other cans. There used to be a pretty big jolt going from the Sennheiser 280s to the Shure's, but now the difference doesn't seem that jarring -- in fact besides bass and treble extension, the Shure's don't compare too badly. The sound seems more open and smoother than at the beginning, when it had a harsh edge in the upper mids. Apart from "normal" burn in, it occured to me that maybe with regular use the ear tips are getting "worn in" and fitting better.

Any other info or experiences?

May 4, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi Davie,

I would think that with time, your motor skill of inserting the tips into the ear will get better hence better seal? (Similar to your thoughts on the tips being 'worn in'.) The harsh sound you describe could be from poor seal.

Just my 2 cents,
Overlunge

May 4, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Aside from actual burn-in, it's possible your mind is adjusting to them, also...

May 4, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 7
overlunge,

Motor skill is definitely improving, but I think this just results in faster insertion, not better. I actually never had much trouble with this since the medium grey tips fit my ears extremely well.
etysmile.gif

Sottilde,

This is certainly possible, but I'm kind of discounting the idea at the moment since I've generally compared them to a fixed reference point - a well burned-in pair of Sennheiser 280pros. Actually, my mind is not made up on this question. That's why I'm seeking out other's experience.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the e3c's now whereas at the beginning I found the sound a bit ugly.
plainface.gif

May 4, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 7
I can't say for sure because I don't even know what a balanced armature looks like or how it works, but it is my understanding that a balanced armature based canalphone does not burn in. The sound remains stable for the lifetime of the unit.

May 4, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoteriX
I can't say for sure because I don't even know what a balanced armature looks like or how it works, but it is my understanding that a balanced armature based canalphone does not burn in. The sound remains stable for the lifetime of the unit.

I've heard that too, but mostly second-hand so I'm not sure whether it's valid or not.

May 4, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 7
From what I read on a chinese audio forum, everyone there said burning in the E3c is a must and 400 hours of burning in should be sufficient.

I used to have a pair of E3c. Before I sold them I spent 150 hours burning them in and they do sound better compared to when I first got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back