Shure E3c?
Dec 1, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

originally posted by jacopo,
I had already read in this forum that Etys had much more "cable-noise" than Shure.... these means you can not listen to Etys unless you stand totally still

I disagree. I was able to go for walks outside and do chores around my apartment without much microphonic noise at all as long as I tucked the cord of the Etys under my shirt--this was with the older, thicker cord as well. That's just my experience, though.

Dec 2, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 38
I've been listening to the E3c for a couple of months now, and I actually like it a lot. With what I believe is a nominal impedance of 29 ohms, the E3c appears to be a direct competitor of the Etymotic ER-4P (which has a nominal impedance of 27 ohms). I do not have much experience at all with the Etymotic ER-4P, as I own the Etymotic ER-4S; so I can't say how the E3c compares to the ER-4P.

Actually, I'll refrain from saying much more about the E3c for a couple of days, as I believe there may still be a press embargo in place (I'll verify this).

I just received my latest Music Direct catalog today, and they already have the E3c in it, priced at $179.99. I'd be very surprised if they actually had any in stock yet, though. Music Direct seems to regularly release new product information in its catalogs early (it's understandably difficult to time catalog arrangement/printing with all the release dates -- they also announced the Audioquest Cheetah interconnect in their last big catalog well before anyone else, including Audioquest). Anyway, at $179.99, it's obvious the E3c is going to be priced very competitevely, and I think it will sell very well in that price range. Of course, I will always encourage Head-Fi members to support the sponsors who support us, and I would expect that HeadRoom and Todd The Vinyl & Headphone Junkie will both be carrying the E3c, too, so please shop with them.

I'll offer more specific comments about the Shure E3c when I know I can. Unfortunately, I can't say how it compares to the E1, E2, Ety ER-6, or ER-4P, as I've very little (or no) experience with these canalphones. I do, however, have extensive experience with the Etymotic ER-4S and Shure E5, so I'll be able to make personal observations with respect to those.

Dec 2, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 38
Jude appears!!!.. Whoa!!!

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #34 of 38
Hopefully the E3c will be the Affordable Holy Grail. I can only hope... Ultimately, I can pick a lot of holes in the ER-4P, ER-4S and the E5. The E5 more maybe because of the cost. But the E5 will play things in the midrange and the low end in a way that the ER-4P/S cannot match. The E5 works better for me for general portable use, but the ER-4P is so much better value and is also capable of things that the E5 isn't so good at.

So if they were to bring some of the low end ooomph of the E5, provide some of the high-end sparkle of the ER-4S and price it lower than the ER-4P (which they seem to have done) I would say they would have a decent chance of unseating Etys.

Jude's comments explains why Sugarfried was strangely absent when he usually would pitch in. Let's hope the E3c are the Ety killers...
evil_smiley.gif
because the E5 is more complimentary than replacement.

Dec 2, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #36 of 38
Most likely, I'm afraid. I'll probably end up releasing what I've written so far in dribs and drabs in the appropriate threads just so that my impressions do get out here... I'm surprised at myself that I haven't commented in more detail so far (or perhaps I was subconsciously 'saving it' for the review
biggrin.gif
). I'll be up to get the E3c.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #38 of 38
Unfortunately they're wrong. It will not ship until sometime in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back