Shure E3C with broken "tube"... Anyone else had this?
Oct 20, 2005 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Aaaargh!!

I get my Corda HA1-MK2 today, and was all excited about listening to it...

First of all, I tried my Beyer DT-531's, I found that the right hand driver was cracking with basslines, so I took the pads and foam off, to find that a thin paper-like membrane under the foam has split and seems to be rattling with the bass... I removed this, but there's still some resonance which can be cured by pressing the cup against my ear a little. Needs some more investigation...

Anyway, I then brought out my Shures (E3C).

As normal, I inserted them into my ears (with the foamies) and then once the foam had expanded, i removed my fingers and played some music.

The left hand earphone didn't sound quite right, so I removed the earphone from my ear... Damn, the foam tip was still down my canal, but then I looked down at the earphone... The actual tube that the tip attaches to had broken off! It was still inside the foam tip, that was inside my ear!!!

Has anyone else had this? I am going to try claiming under the warranty as I only bought them in March this year, but I got them from eBay (new) so I'm not sure what they'll say to that. I don't really want to have to claim on my home contents insurance for them.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone?
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 6
I had a fault develop with my 3 month-old E3Cs (I whacked them against a table and broke one of the drivers, ahem) and Shure posted a brand-new box out to me within 24 hrs of receipt of the broken ones - no questions asked.
cool.gif

Shure Distribution:
+44 20 8808 2222
167/171 Willoughby Lane
London
N17 0SB

HTH

Edit: forgot to mention I bought them from the Apple store - who weren't interested (read the small print)...maybe a copy of your ebay transaction if required?

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey, thank you very much!

I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow!

Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I called Shure this morning and they've given me an RMA number and told me that they'll send me out a new pair within 7 days of receiving mine.

I just hope that the next set I get won't break in the same place. The plastic tube does look a bit fragile.

Thanks again AllenF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back