Shure E3c - Where's the Love?
Apr 1, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
If you don't want to offend then don't make assumptions such as I didn't attempt a search.

Those older threads are on the front page of the featured reviews. There is no excuse for not finding them
smily_headphones1.gif
As for the other, it was very active tilll January 2005, so sould've been fairly easy to find also. I also seen many threads after that like this one: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107186 and this one http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108895. There are really quite a few of them.

Also, before I got the E3, I did a search all the way back to their release date
smily_headphones1.gif
-- there is a very large fan club, and a very large hate club. The more vocal hate club however prefer the muddy boomy dirt cheap phones so hard to get an objective opinion.

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
Those older threads are on the front page of the featured reviews. There is no excuse for not finding them
smily_headphones1.gif
As for the other, it was very active tilll January 2005, so sould've been fairly easy to find also. I also seen many threads after that like this one: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107186 and this one http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108895. There are really quite a few of them.

Also, before I got the E3, I did a search all the way back to their release date
smily_headphones1.gif
-- there is a very large fan club, and a very large hate club. The more vocal hate club however prefer the muddy boomy dirt cheap phones so hard to get an objective opinion.

I believe you're talking about one person in particular so I'll let him respond himself. But to lump anyone who doesn't adore the Shure sound signature as liking boomy dirt cheap phones is simply absurd. As I recall, you're the one who just recently commented in length about Sony's new MDR-EX81's on DigDub's review thread, making wild assumptions about what they sounded like, without ever having heard them.

Some people prefer Ety's and some people like the Shure sound, some people like Grado's and others Senn. No one's right here. But you seem to want to justify your own purchase by repeatedly posting that the Head-Fi "elite" prefer Shure's warmer sound over the "fake detail" of Etymotics, and that settles the debate. Never mind that there are literally thousands of posts praising both Shure and Etymotic over the past few years.

And while we're on the subject, I don't have any doubt that there is a slight boost in the upper frequencies on the ER-4 and there is a curious lack of audible decay, which leads to the hyperreal instrument seperation. Call it "fake" if you want. Fair enough. But having owned, in the previous five months, E3c's, ER-6i's and now the ER-4P, it is totally understandable why some people would prefer that presentation to overly boosted mids and rolled off treble. Having said that, I could completely understand why people dislike Etymotics, especially if you are sensitive to sibilance or tend to like warmer phones as opposed to brighter ones. Also, as I have wrote on several ocassions, Shure definitely has Etymotic beat in the ergonomics and portable functionality department.

In any case, nothing about high-end audio gear is clear cut. The best thing about Head-Fi is the numbingly large number of opinions one gets about everything under the sun which invariably leads to a hemorrhaging wallet. So one solution is, money or crime spree permitting, buy it all and decide for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I never said I didn't find them. It's just an assumption you're making.

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamlau
...is the reason why I now let my friends use my E3s. Terrible for DVD playback and awful for breakbeats...

You've got to be kidding, lol. The E3 are known for their full, rich bass.

EDIT: Ah, you belong to the crowd that prefers the Sony EX71s, right?

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #37 of 39
The absolute first sign of loss-of-seal disease is bass deficiency. There is hope however, loss-of-seal can be cured by a pair of triple flange sleeves. First the stem should be trimmed off, so they suit the E3cs sound tube. Then, if your ear canals are small or short, you can trim the first flange off. If this does not cure your bass-deficiency, you may have other serious medical problems, such as, deafness.

Actually, the tri-flanges worked best for me, but the foamies worked ok as well. Both the soft and clear silicon sleeves didn't cut the mustard for me. Everyone's ears have a different shape and so making canalphones seal in each individuals ear is hard to accomplish with universal tips. And if they're not sealed perfectly, than the bass will suffer greatly. When using the foamies I can tell when it's time to change them because I keep having to turn up the volume to hear the bass. They only last a couple weeks for me.

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamlau
...is the reason why I now let my friends use my E3s. Terrible for DVD playback and awful for breakbeats...

I find their bass to be pretty good in volume. It is not the impactfull bass of dual drives and full size headphones, but yet it still is very good for movies. The instrument separation, also helps in movies, and their midrange gives you very clear voices excellent for movies.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

You've got to be kidding, lol. The E3 are known for their full, rich bass.

EDIT: Ah, you belong to the crowd that prefers the Sony EX71s, right?

I have the E3's, but I also think bass is their weakpoint, but I think that may be the weakpoint of all canal phones. I now prefer the full sound of my Senn PX-100s to the E3s. I have the Sony's as well, but the bass is not quality bass like the PX-100s. Now, I only use my E3s now in noisy environments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back