Shure e3c VS. Etymotic ER-4P
Jan 31, 2004 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
has anyone of you used both of them?
which one di you like better?

i am using the porta pro from koss with my ipod right now and i want to upgrade my headphones.

how are they compare with the cheaper versions: e2c and er-6?
i am not considering them because i dont want to spend more money for headphones in the future.

there is also another thing i am afraid of: compfort....

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 40
top_search.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/searc...der=descending

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 40
If you are budget concern, you will have to factor in the cost of replacement filters. I know all the Ety's and the Shure E2 require new filter replacements every so often.

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 40
if i had the money i would buy a shure e5c.

but i think when buying either one i can afford a package of filters
wink.gif

@bangraman: i already read all posts with "er-4p" inside. as a conclusion from what i ve read i would say that the etys sound more natural and accurate than the e3c. but the bass seems equal.

when compared with the e5c most agree that these are more fun to listen to, which really make me want to get them.
but unfortunately i really don't have 500 bucks. *cry*

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 40
hmm... is there a difference between the shure e5 and e5c?

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by ipumuk
hmm... is there a difference between the shure e5 and e5c?

The only difference is packaging, as the earphones are the exact same thing. With the E5c you get a much prettier box, level attenuator (to help with volume control in high output sources like airplanes), and a zip case. The E5 comes in a plastic box with a velour pouch/case. Both models have the same sleeves. If you're interested, the E5 can be had for $389. I think there's also a sale on the E5c for $399 somewhere too.

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

if i had the money i would buy a shure e5c.

but i think when buying either one i can afford a package of filters
wink.gif

@bangraman: i already read all posts with "er-4p" inside. as a conclusion from what i ve read i would say that the etys sound more natural and accurate than the e3c. but the bass seems equal.

when compared with the e5c most agree that these are more fun to listen to, which really make me want to get them.
but unfortunately i really don't have 500 bucks. *cry*

The E3c definitely has more mid-bass (most bass components of pop music). The low bass is about the same as the ER-4P. The Etys sound more overtly resolved. I think our resident Shureholic lindrone would probably raise issues with 'natural sounding' and if he did, I would agree. The Ety sounds very resolved and sharp, regardless of whether there is really any additional detail (using a home rig as a reference) on offer than the E3c in certain frequency bands. I would contest it if someone said the Etys sound more 'natural'... They sound more 'overtly audiophile' which has nothing to do with 'natural'.

A lot of guys say the E5 is the one to go for, and I really can't agree with this... I think the E5 is the phone to go for if $500 doesn't create a ripple in your credit card statements. They don't for me (and I paid the equivalent of $900 in the UK for them) and I'm happy to waste my money on them as they are well isolated, well resolved and very bassy at the same time... exactly what I want for portable listening. But being frank there are headphones that do this job much better, it's just that I don't regard them as portably convenient as the E5... is that worth $300 extra to you? If it is, get the E5.

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 40
well i will try to get the e5 used on ebay.

what headphones without need for an amp will do the same job for less bucks? i have to stress that i will only use them with my ipod, so they must be very easily driven.

Jan 31, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

well i will try to get the e5 used on ebay.

what headphones without need for an amp will do the same job for less bucks? i have to stress that i will only use them with my ipod, so they must be very easily driven.

The Sennheiser HD25-1.

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I would contest it if someone said the Etys sound more 'natural'... They sound more 'overtly audiophile' which has nothing to do with 'natural'.

Bangraman,

What do you mean by 'natural' and 'overtly audiophile' as adjectives pertaining to sound? A very slight compare and contrast would be useful. Are there headphones that are both audiophile and natural? Which phones have a more audiophile sound, and which have a more natural sound?

I am not debating your observations, but rather trying to better understand the vocabulary used.

Thanks,
Alan

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 40
I'm not bangraman, but I'll try to answer.
Sounding "overtly audiophile," in this case, means that it's is easier to discern details in the music, is flat across the spectrum, has good extension, good separation of instruments, etc.
Sounding "natural" means, well, that it sounds natural - less artificial, "right," for you. Because of this vague subjective definition, everyone has different opinions on which phones sound more natural.

Some headphones are agreed by many here to lean towards an audiophile-sound. Examples are Sennheiser HD280, Etys, Ultrasone HFI-650, Stax, etc, because of their overall flatness and extension that does not accentuate anything much over the other, and provides a lot of detail. Of note is the fact that these "overtly audiophile" headphone are often have less mid-bass than other headphones, because this allows for the presentation of more treble detail. Some like this, some don't.
On the other hand, it's not quite agreed upon what headphones sound natural. Some might say that Sennheiser HD600 sounds natural, others would say Sony CD3000, some might argue for Grados, etc.

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 40
obligatory post to counter the Shurians:
wink.gif

I had the E3c and tested directly against the Er4P/S, and find the Etymotics offer significantly better sound quality, resolution, and enjoyment. Definately worth the 25% additional cost. I would only recommend the E3c as an upgrade to Sony EX71 for use while exercising in a noisy environment, but at $180, eh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back