Shure E3c upgrade time: UPDATED w/ SE530
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lazaruslong

New Head-Fier
EDIT:

Just recieved my SE530s, and they are delicious. Really amazing sound, though the have a definite treble roll-off, i am running them with the treble booster on my iPOD which sets everything perfect for my tastes. I also modded the tri-flanges to bi-flange and cut the stem 1/2 of the way (per voltage's thread), which resulted in substantially richer, wider, and more sparkly sound. I can't believe the details i am noticing, subtle echoes on vocals, cymbal crashes. Kid A by Radiohead is even better then i thought!

I may eventually turn the treble boost off, especially with the modded tips, my only concern would be fatigue of extended listening.

/end edit

Hi all,

I have been using my Shure E3c’s for a while now and still love the way they sound and fit, but (of course) would like something better. I need them to be sound isolating for the office, but they don’t need to be more so then my E3cs. I mostly listen to indie, post-rock, shoegaze, and alternative. Lots of strings, piano, chiming guitars, but definitely capable of handling more noise oriented rock. Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Iron and Wine, Peter Broderick, Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Okkervil River, and Neutral Milk Hotel have all been on heavy rotation recently. Mostly on my iPOD in the office, though occasionally through my E-MU USB 0404, so they need to sound good un-amped.

I am willing to spend up to $300

In lurking around I found these options:
Phonak Audeo Perfect Fit
Etymotic Research ER4S
Shure E4C (are these the SLC4 now?)

Any recommendations or other ones I should consider?

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 22
Bump for a post I'm interested in too -- I'm expecting some refund money coming down the pike and it's time to update my years-loved e3cs (the unit is cracking once again!
frown.gif
).

It's been a while since I've been on the scene so I don't know whether to stick with Shure or if something better has come along. I really like my shures aside from the small build problem where the seam has cracked some (replaced once under warranty, but now it's been more than 2 years) All I know is that there are a ton more options now--back then there were only two options in town Shure and Ety... now the field has exploded!

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 22
thanks for the responses,

apart from decent isolation i really want these to have (un-amped, from an iPOD):
1) high end sparkle
2) good with vocals and harmonies
3) midrange
4) separation of instruments/sound stage
5) bass, but i would like them to have more then my e3cs

torres-- i'm not sure what you mean by analysis or vocal, new to this scene still!

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 22
Would the 530s be a good choice if I like bass? Right now I use my e3cs with the iPod bass boost and it is "adequate." For comparison, my Beyerdynamic 770s are loads of fun.

If I'm interested in purchasing the 530s, where is the best place to get them? There seem to be such wide pricing discrepancies. I see as low as $260 on eBay... $300 on froogle... but a typical selling price of $450+

As much as I am committed to paying a good price for headphones, $150-200 is a good amount of money to be saving!

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 22
The Shure SE530's bass is perfectly adequate even for a basshead. The bass is detailed, powerful, punchy and blends seamlessly with the wonderful midrange and crisp but soft treble to create a very amazing unique and full sound.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 22
One of the biggest complaints about the SE530's is the rolled off highs. If you're looking for high end sparkle that seems to be counter to what would be good for you.

I'd possibly look into the IE7's because they have good bass as well, and seem like they may possibly have better highs than the SE530's. The PFE's definitely have very good treble and a sparkly highs to my ears but they may be lacking in the bass department and I think some people have complained about them handling complex music poorly although I've never experienced it. Neither of them have fantastic isolation but with the Comply's on the PFE's or some other tips for the IE7's I don't think you should have any issues.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Klipsch custom series in regards to fit and sound so maybe take a look at those as well.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 22
the 530 isnt a very naturally trebly earphone but if you boost the treble then they will do exactly what you tell them.

the bass is also on a different planet from the E3c, vastly better.

frankly if you were happy with the sound of the E3c then you will love the 530, it is better in each and everyway

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 22
I'd usually recommend using the Ipod EQ at all, but Treble boost is one of the few presets that doesn't distort much so it goes alright with the 530s. Out of a Sony S639 (which actually has a respectable EQ) a little boost in the top end makes it adequately sparkly, but it'll never gain the sparkle that IEMs like Phonaks or cans like Koss or Grado will... it's not like an EQ is a panacea for rolled off highs.

Ultimately, if treble sparkle is THAT important to you, 530's probably isn't your best choice. Then again, your description is pretty much what ALL of us would want, as it is pretty much perfect in every way.
tongue.gif
You will have a make a concession in one area or another with all headphones, especially without an amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 22
I've been reading all the reviews and i think i have narrowed it down to:

IE7 or the 530, but am leaning toward the IE7's because of the better sparkle....does anyone know of the best place to pick up the 7s? amazon only has one pair and i'm concerned with all the fake product threads.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazaruslong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading all the reviews and i think i have narrowed it down to:

IE7 or the 530, but am leaning toward the IE7's because of the better sparkle....does anyone know of the best place to pick up the 7s? amazon only has one pair and i'm concerned with all the fake sennheiser threads.

The SE530's highs has the detail of every other top universal earphone but it is presented in a way that the majority of consumers would prefer......Not drilling through your head. The IE7 will have "louder" highs than the SE530's not more detailed but the SE530's has a louder and more detailed midrange than the IE7 or any other specific earphone for that matter. Since I am young and my hearing is probably more sensitive and better than all of you older head-fiers I don't see the high roll off a problem with the SE530's. When I get older and lose sensitivity in the high frequency region than I will begin to see what you guys were complaining about. For now the highs are perfect from the SE530's.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE530's highs has the detail of every other top universal earphone but it is presented in a way that the majority of consumers would prefer......Not drilling through your head. The IE7 will have "louder" highs than the SE530's not more detailed but the SE530's has a louder and more detailed midrange than the IE7 or any other specific earphone for that matter. Since I am young and my hearing is probably more sensitive and better than all of you older head-fiers I don't see the high roll off a problem with the SE530's. When I get older and lose sensitivity in the high frequency region than I will begin to see what you guys were complaining about. For now the highs are perfect from the SE530's.

Damn! making me re-think my decision, i do enjoy the fit of my e3c's, isolation, and sound...and with the previous posts about the treble boost on the iPOD.

Any reccs on the best place to buy the 530s and 7s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back