Shure E3C/SCL3 and E4C/SLC4 vs. Sony earphones
Dec 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hurryup

500+ Head-Fier
How good are the E3C/SCL3 and E4C/SCL4s compared to Sony EX8- series? I was originally planning to buy altec lansing im616s but then I discovered some greedy people bought all of the independent seller's im616s on amazon.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 9
are you bass lover?
e3c and e4c does not have alots of bass.

Sony EX8- has worst sound isolation.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you bass lover?
e3c and e4c does not have alots of bass.

Sony EX8- has worst sound isolation.

How about overall sound quality? e4c against sony - im not planning to buy e3cs anymore.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 9
I have Shure E3c and EX700LP. The Sonys have some deeper bass, and better high treble, but I have not decided if they are better than the Shures. Don't know the EX8- series, have some Sony EX76 that sounds pretty bad.

Also, the Sony cables tangles pretty bad, the Shures are better for me. I usually stuff the set in my jacket pocket, so I probably should get a set with a short cable.

I would like to try the E4c/SE4xx from Shure, I think I would like them better than the Sonys

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 9
I have both the E3 and the SCL3. Without a doubt the SCL3 is a superior ear bud. The E3 was seriously lacking in bass response which has been resolved with the SCL3 driver. They look identical and come with pretty much the same accessories. The round case that comes with the Shure ear buds is one of the best I've seen. The SCL3 case was missing the inner hub for wrapping the cord around though, I prefer the E3 case for this reason. The SCL3 also comes with a couple additional ear inserts.

I have an ipod Classic 160GB and it is known to be lacking bass response, but with the SCL3 I have no complaints, I don't even need to set the EQ for increased bass. Even with EQ set to increased bass the E3 was lacking.

While the E3 was a nice set go with the SCL3, you won't be sorry.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm the E3 is the same thing as the SCL3

haha you know when somebody is chatting rubbish when they claim to have 2 sets of the same phone and they are completely different, what a nut job.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArJuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the E3 and the SCL3. Without a doubt the SCL3 is a superior ear bud. The E3 was seriously lacking in bass response which has been resolved with the SCL3 driver.

I was under the impression that they have the same driver; only the cord and packaging differ. I'm pretty sure that's the case.

In regard to the question about Shures vs Sonys, I own a pair of SCL4s I nabbed during the $80 fire sale. A month later and about 250 hrs burn-in, I love them. The mids and highs are unquestionably Shure, in that they're clear and detailed, but the attack isn't there. The bass is expectedly detailed and clean, but has a weak presence. I owned AL im616s. I hated them because of the harsh highs and complete lack of bass (quantity AND quality), so those greedy people actually did you a favor. My friend has some Sony EX90s and I like them for their exaggerated bass presence and warm mids, but the detail is lacking.

It breaks down to a few personal preferences.

1. Do you listen analytically or casually?
2. Do you need good isolation? Would you prefer less isolation?
3. What kind of music would you prefer to hear in detail?
4. How careful are you with your IEMs?

I got the Shure's because

1. I use them to listen to classical and adult alternative. I like being able to hear the plucks of the guitar and shuffling of the orchestra. The SCL4s have detailed highs and that you won't find elsewhere for under $200. Bass presence is lacking, but the bass is FAR from mediocre.

2. I only use the Shures when I'm studying or relaxing, so isolation was essential. Otherwise, I'd use Yuin PK3s to satisfy my bass needs and so people don't think I'm ignoring them.

3. I listen to all kinds of music, but some music sounds terrible when you can hear every detail. A great deal of country, hip-hop, alternative metal use repetitive ambiance sounds that don't draw too much attention with less detailed IEMs, but sound abrasive and harsh with the SCL4s. Seriously, I have different playlists depending on what equipment I plan on using. SCL4s are strictly classical, adult alternative, pop, trip-hop, and soul. I wouldn't recommend SCL4s if you plan on listening to Cunninlynguists (scratchy record effects), Brand New (high pitched sine waves), Dierks Bentley (annoying progressions in background), etc.

4. The SCL4 cord is THICK. If you own an iPod, it's the exact same thickness as the usb cable (I can only distinguish them by a slight shade difference). You definitely don't need to worry about the SCL4s breaking anytime soon. The cable takes up a great deal of space, if you plan on using a different case from the included accessory (I used a 20 piece Altoids gum tin). The reliefs are strong (frankly unnecessary). Sony's style is more practical. They'll last you at least 2-3 years (my friend has had his since they came out), and the cable is thin, of adequate length, and diminutive.

Accessories are nonconsequential. Both include mediocre items. Tips are uncomfortable or unpractical on both sides, and the case is typically too big. I use Klipsch gels and either a film cannister or an Altoid tin.

The Sony's are probably better for casual listening, if you aren't paying close attention to details. The bass is speedy and has the oomph that casual ears prefer. It's also more comfortable and the lack of isolation is definitely safer.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArJuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the E3 and the SCL3. Without a doubt the SCL3 is a superior ear bud. The E3 was seriously lacking in bass response which has been resolved with the SCL3 driver. They look identical and come with pretty much the same accessories. The round case that comes with the Shure ear buds is one of the best I've seen. The SCL3 case was missing the inner hub for wrapping the cord around though, I prefer the E3 case for this reason. The SCL3 also comes with a couple additional ear inserts.

I have an ipod Classic 160GB and it is known to be lacking bass response, but with the SCL3 I have no complaints, I don't even need to set the EQ for increased bass. Even with EQ set to increased bass the E3 was lacking.

While the E3 was a nice set go with the SCL3, you won't be sorry.

This is EPIC! Placebo in full effect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back