Shure E3C Owners - OK for exercise?
Aug 5, 2006 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pookyman

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I've pretty much decided to buy these, and had just one last question.

Are the E3C's okay for running/exercise? Will they stay in and be comfortable (in your opinion) over a long period of time?

Thanks

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 11
Yep - I think they work great for exercise. With the foam tips & worn behind your ear & down your back. They stay in well & you don't get much noise from the cord. They do isolate all sound though so if you are outside w/traffic you have to be aware. In the gym they are great.

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 11
I used to use them for training on an ergometer, went fine.
However, as with all IEM's, with running you'll experience occlusion, the sound of your footsteps going bong in your head.
One last word: the E4s share the same soundsignature and dimensions but are really so much more enjoyable, so if you can stretch your budget....

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I used to use them for training on an ergometer, went fine.
However, as with all IEM's, with running you'll experience occlusion, the sound of your footsteps going bong in your head.
One last word: the E4s share the same soundsignature and dimensions but are really so much more enjoyable, so if you can stretch your budget....

So true. I cringe whenever I see E3c's for sale for over $100, when you can get E4c's by adding the cost of a couple of pizzas. The E4c's are sooo much better. The E3c's are really anemic in comparison.

I use foam tips with IEM's for everything except exercise. The foamies absorb sweat and get icky. I use plastic tips (modded tri-flange) if I'm doing anything aerobic. Foamies are fine for lifting weights though.

Really, do be careful about exercise outdoors where there is a traffic risk; isolation is almost complete, and you don't want to get flattened by a truck.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I use foam tips with IEM's for everything except exercise. The foamies absorb sweat and get icky. I use plastic tips (modded tri-flange) if I'm doing anything aerobic. Foamies are fine for lifting weights though.

So funny -- I'm just the opposite. I use the foamies for exercise b/c the plastic tips don't stay in my ears as well when I get sweaty. They tend to slip out & then a couple of times they have come off of the stem & gotten stuck in my ear!! This was with the grey soft tips.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 11
I ride with mine all th e time. It is even better if you put the cord down your back, and your mp3 player in your pocket.
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Are the E4C's better from an audiophile standpoint or just in general? Because I've been reading some rave reviews of them, but they seem to be a little out of my budget.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I think they are a lot better from the sound perspective. Build wise there isn't that much difference.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pookyman
Are the E4C's better from an audiophile standpoint or just in general? Because I've been reading some rave reviews of them, but they seem to be a little out of my budget.

They are so much better that there is no comparison--really.

You can pick up E4c's for a lot less than posted retail; shoot an e-mail to the different Headfi sponsors for best price. They can also be found on e-bay, but these are usually not Shure authorized dealers. That may or may not matter to you.

Also, keep your eyes on the for sale forum--I suspect there will be a few for sale due to the release of the E500. Some people don't like the idea of used IEM's, but as long as you get new tips, there really shouldn't be any Ick factor. I was going to sell mine, but I can't part with them. I like them both for different reasons.

There are a few people who have heard multiple IEMs and still like the E3c's, but not many. I liked them until I heard the E4c's. I imediately felt like a complete idiot for spending what I did on the E3c's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back