Shure E3c... or time to change?
Apr 3, 2009 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Y2HBK

100+ Head-Fier
I used to have a pair of Shure E3's before they were stolen at my old job. I have to say, I did like them to an extent... but they hurt my ears after 30 minutes of playtime. I really dont want to spend another $150 to replace them.

I have been looking at the Sony EX71's, but wanted buds with multiple tips like the E3's had. They made for a very nice fit.

I would like tight bass, but doesnt need to be boomy. Crisp and accurate mids and highs would be great. I would prefer not to spend more than $100. I mostly listen to Rock and Alternative and they will be used with my Ipod Touch 2G. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 11
I have read a lot about the NE-7M's as well as the Phonak Audeo PFE's. What about these models?

Looks like the PFE's are around $140... and Im not sure I want to toss that much money out unless these really are worth it.

Where are great places to buy these if they are recc models? I see the vendors on the left but I didnt know if purchases were being made elsewhere?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Shure E4 (E4c) are a definite step up from E3- I have them. Much better in every spectrum, especially bass and highs. Currently rebranded by Shure into SCL4 they retail at around $90 (I paid over $200 for them 3years ago). These are great classic IEMs - good sound and great isolation thats perfect for commuting. At 90$ I cant imagine these being beaten by anything. At higher prices- there's a lot of choice nowdays, mostly from new pretenders that seem be better sound-wise then the yesteryear Shure.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I dont want to go with the hf5 due to the size of the phone. While these will primarily be used at work, they may also be used at night as well. I wanted something that didnt stick out quite as far.

I am thinking about giving the NE7M's a shot and see if I like them. If not I can always return them and try something else. The NE7M's are also significantly cheaper than the hf5 from what I can find.

I am surprised that more comments havent been made about the PFE's. Reading about the hf5 and the PFE's.. for $10 cheaper the PFE's seem like they can do no wrong.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure E4 (E4c) are a definite step up from E3- I have them. Much better in every spectrum, especially bass and highs. Currently rebranded by Shure into SCL4 they retail at around $90 (I paid over $200 for them 3years ago). These are great classic IEMs - good sound and great isolation thats perfect for commuting. At 90$ I cant imagine these being beaten by anything. At higher prices- there's a lot of choice nowdays, mostly from new pretenders that seem be better sound-wise then the yesteryear Shure.

I have the SCL3s and really like them. But you are the second person in the past few days who has noted that the SCL4s are noticeably better, and so I'm intrigued. But where can you get them for $90 retail? Is that from a reputable dealer? Thanks.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 11
For your sound sig, probably the Etys.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey everyone. Thanks again for the feedback. I had the ability to try the hf5 on Saturday for a 2nd time. I have to say, while I was impressed, I still did not care for the design of the buds. Personal preference I suppose.

I strongly considered the PFEs due to their great reviews... however I decided against in due to the defects. I think they will be in my future though when some time goes by for Phonak to iron out the kinks.

I read headphoneaddict's review on the NE7M and that finally pushed me over the edge. On a whim, I went ahead and took my chances. To my amazement, they were delivered yesterday. Ordered on Sat and CA > OH by Monday. I had the ability to test these out last night and for $50 I must say I am very happy with my purchase. I find many of the reviews I have come across, including headphoneaddict's to be spot on.

I have been using the supplied foam tips and am really enjoying these buds. While I have owned some Shure's in the past, I have never really paid much attention to the "IEM world" so to speak. I could see this becoming a costly venture for me as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back