shure e3c or ety er6i?
Sep 15, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

xDFuNK

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, ive been reading reviews, comparisons, etc on these 2 canalphones like crazy, but need some more help. I will be using these at work and on the commute to/from.
My main categories of music are hiphop and punk, with various other rock, jazz, reggae mixed in.

which should i go for?? gimme some opinions, or even other suggestions. I never had canalphones before, and want to get the best suited for me.
thanks for the help

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 22
For the music you listen to (rock, reggae, punk and hip hop), the shures are the better choice. The bass is punchier, and the overall sound is more musical. The etys sound thin in comparison making them not as good especially in hard rock, metal, hip hop, and punk. The mids in the shures is beautifull though somewhat louder in comparison to the rest of the sound. The etys however have really nice highs, though they are louder also than the rest of the sound. The ety sound suits jazz very well though.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 22
I've started in IEM this world with the same question as you.

Finally, I choosed the E3c. It exceeded my expectatives. Fabulous.

I havent listened the ER6i, I whould love to do it, some people say they lack bass and have better highs.

E3c are strong and punchy. I've never hear the Roland 909 bass drum this way. Fantastic. I listen mainly trance and techo and, assuming the treeble roll, the energy and puch was incredible.

E3c had a big 'con': The dumb-like smiley you always wear when listening them.

I tried E4 and was the same energy sound but with perfect highs and better low end. Obviously, E4 had to be the perfect IEMs, but I wanna explore different things, that's why I ordered the Westone UM2.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
I've started in IEM this world with the same question as you.

Finally, I choosed the E3c. It exceeded my expectatives. Fabulous.

I havent listened the ER6i, I whould love to do it, some people say they lack bass and have better highs.

E3c are strong and punchy. I've never hear the Roland 909 bass drum this way. Fantastic. I listen mainly trance and techo and, assuming the treeble roll, the energy and puch was incredible.

E3c had a big 'con': The dumb-like smiley you always wear when listening them.

I tried E4 and was the same energy sound but with perfect highs and better low end. Obviously, E4 had to be the perfect IEMs, but I wanna explore different things, that's why I ordered the Westone UM2.

Let me know how you like them (UM2) in comparison to both of the shures. I am also looking to explore a new sound. I want to buy the E4, but think it is a better thing to try a different sound which suits different music, that way I can keep both or different situations.

Thanks

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Let me know how you like them (UM2) in comparison to both of the shures. I am also looking to explore a new sound. I want to buy the E4, but think it is a better thing to try a different sound which suits different music, that way I can keep both or different situations.

Thanks

I'm a little bit scared... :wink: Maybe I'll like the E4 sound more... but UM2 seems to be better... But for me is impossible to try it before...

Well, I'll tell what happen when they arrive...

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 22
I'll go against the above two posters to say, ER6i...by a long shot.

The E3C has a real lack of highs, and this is a real killer if you think you want to hear instruments like cymbals. Even though the detail is still there, it sounds very distant. Midbass might be a slight bit better, but I think the ER6i extends deeper overall. I prefer the bass of the ER6i, I think it's more even sounding.

Of all the headphones I've bought and sold over the years, the E3C was my most disappointing.

The only good thing about the E3C is the build quality, but other than that, I would not recommend them at all.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I'll go against the above two posters to say, ER6i...by a long shot.

The E3C has a real lack of highs, and this is a real killer if you think you want to hear instruments like cymbals. Even though the detail is still there, it sounds very distant. Midbass might be a slight bit better, but I think the ER6i extends deeper overall. I prefer the bass of the ER6i, I think it's more even sounding.

Of all the headphones I've bought and sold over the years, the E3C was my most disappointing.

The only good thing about the E3C is the build quality, but other than that, I would not recommend them at all.

warpdriver, we have had are issues in the past. But I totally agree with you on this one. Er6i by a long shoot. Owned e2s, er6is, UM2s, E5s. Didn't ever get the e3s.

Er6i for sure. Headroom.com says they are 4 star value and I totally agree. Best canal Headphone under $200 dollars. Next step up is the shure e4s, UE pro.5s, UM2s. In no general order..

I think the e3 are over priced for there value and if I didn't get one I would get them used. If looking for something with more bass I would go with the UE.pro'5s. Which you can get around $190 at Gateway online store. UE are more musical and just all-round better then the e3s. The treble response isn't as good as the er6is with UE.pro's.

If you really want bass get the UE.EBs for $150 at gateway store. Totally colored sound but the best bass of any canal.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 22
IMO the 6i's don't suit rock, hip hop, and rap very well. For such music I find better vocals (for hip hop), and more punchiness is needed which is where the E3s beat the ER6i. I agree the highs are rolled off both overall, the sound is much more natural, and the decay is so much better on the E3.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
IMO the 6i's don't suit rock, hip hop, and rap very well. For such music I find better vocals (for hip hop), and more punchiness is needed which is where the E3s beat the ER6i. I agree the highs are rolled off both overall, the sound is much more natural, and the decay is so much better.

Truth be told, *neither* are great for rock or hip hop....so it's all relative. The E3C's bass and punchiness are nothing to rave about either.

I'm listening to rock/pop right now with the ER6i as I type this, and it's adequately punchy enough for me for a portable earphone, umamped straight out of an iPod.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Truth be told, *neither* are great for rock or hip hop....so it's all relative. The E3C's bass and punchiness are nothing to rave about either.

I'm listening to rock/pop right now with the ER6i as I type this, and it's adequately punchy enough for me for a portable earphone, umamped straight out of an iPod.

While I find the shures far better for metal, and punk, I gotta agree that both of these single driver canalphones may not be the best for such types of music. This is the reason I am ready to upgrade to a dual driver.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 22
ok, a little more info maybe will help the decision process along a bit, so yea, quik rondown

mostly punk and hiphop, some reggae, rock, jazz etc on the side.
primary source will be my dell dj jukebox, i dunno if this makes a difference. and yea unamped.
The only decent headphones ive ever used beside stock ones are the sennheiser px200 i currently own.

so keep the suggestions coming.
thanks!

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xDFuNK
ok, a little more info maybe will help the decision process along a bit, so yea, quik rondown

mostly punk and hiphop, some reggae, rock, jazz etc on the side.
primary source will be my dell dj jukebox, i dunno if this makes a difference. and yea unamped.
The only decent headphones ive ever used beside stock ones are the sennheiser px200 i currently own.

so keep the suggestions coming.
thanks!

I seriously recommend you spend a little more. The thing is that both the E3 and the ER6i while much clearer, and detailed than the PX200, are not as fun sounding as the PX200 for such music. If you can get a superfi pro, that should be a good choice, as they are said to be clear, detailed, and big sounding. THe shure E3, and the etys are nowhere close to big sounding IMO.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 22
I tried er6i for an hour. They hurt so much to my ears that I returned them to buy.com the next morning. These IEM are not my thing.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back