Shure E3c Info On Website
Dec 4, 2003 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Lil_JV

500+ Head-Fier
Check this out. I think I am going to get these when I get my Zen. Look at the fit kit. 3 types of tips. The new tips look very similar to the EX70/71 tips.

e3c_big.jpg

popup_e1inear.jpg

JV.

Dec 4, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 27
Those tips look interesting. The colour is cannily chosen for iPoders... Although I'm sure it doesn't bother many of us, the number of times I've seen "phones to match my ipod?" threads on iPodlounge is surprising. Plus, they don't look like hearing aids (E5).

The clear and foam tips in the Fit Kit look the same as the E1/E5, so presumably the triple flanges will fit too. Specs are interesting too... very high efficiency, very low impedance. Like the 4P, resistor-based sound changes are possible... All this is very interesting.

Dec 4, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 27
You guys are fast, and you don't miss much.
bangraman: you are indeed correct. The triple flange sleeves will work on the E3c. In fact, we've deswigned a new sleeve that will ship with both E3c and E5c starting in January. It's similar in shape to the current flex sleeve, but it's made of silicone/rubber rather than soft plastic.
They are the sleeves on the product in the picture.
-Matt

Dec 4, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 27
Of course, I'll have to do another contrast & review for the new sleeves against the old sleeve & custom molding. I'll probably write a new one instead of appending it to my incredibly long review that I did a while ago... as the way it is.

Dec 5, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 27
Have these new E3c's replaced the E1's? I noticed they're no longer on the site. Are they an upgraded or modded version?

Dec 5, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 27
I have a set of the new sleeves (thanks to TTVJ) and they are amazing. I don't like the clear ones that come with the E5c's, but the foamies are pretty nice. With these soft grey ones, it is so easy to just place it in my ear and get a great seal.

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 27
Matt:

Can you give us any other info about new technology in the E3?

-Is it a completely new balanced armature design, different from
etys?

-How about the housing geometry, anything there designed to
make better sound?

-Anything special about how you've designed the frequency
response?

-Are the drivers impedance matched by hand?

-Will it come in colors other than iPod white?

-Did you put any braille on them to tell left from right in the dark
(like sennheiser does)?

Will they help me meet women?

-Bandit

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 27
Thanks for all the questions.

Nights: In my opinion they are a similar consistency. Our walls are thicker, as our earphones weigh more. So they are similar, but a little more firm.

Fastjack: The new soft flex sleeves provide similar attenuation/isolation as our current flex sleeves, but results will vary from person to person. It's approximately 15-20 dB.

MD1032: The E1c is available if you call us, but not directly from our website. There are also some dealers who will have leftover stock when the E3c becomes available. When E3c ships (tentatively January 5th) the E1c will be totally unavailable.
The E1 (same product, different packaging) will continue to be available until January 15th to dealers, at which time the E3 (a gray version of the same E3c product) will become available. I hope that clears it up a bit.

twilightrevenant: I am not confident that using the resistor would make favorable changes.

JeffKiel: Very cool. I'm glad you like them.

Bandit: The driver used in the E3c is similar to the driver used in the E1/E1c. We have made a few modifications to it to enhance low frequency response when compared to the E1. Nothing specific about the external design enhances the sound. It was all about the transducer. Our intent with the sound of the E3c was to increase the low frequency handling, not to merely boost the lows.
- The drivers are all tested before they are assembled. Our tolerances are pretty tight, any deviation is a reject. So they're not hand-matched, but if they fail spec they are not used.
- As I mentioned above, there will be an E3 model also. The E3 will be a medium gray color with the same cable as the E3c. We used medium gray because we want it to disappear as if a shadow for performers on stage. We chose white for the E3c primarily because it gives it some pop. But the fact that iPod is white too didn't hurt.
-No braille, but there is an indented "R" and "L" on the respective earphones.
-If earphones helped us meet women the world would be a better place.

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 27
Wait.. you're saying.. you don't go around bars showing off your earphones to girls?

I don't know 'bout other parts of the country, but that's how I pick up women in San Francisco!

(So... tonight.. I'll be home eating TV dinner.. yeah...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back