Shure E3c and exercising...?
Jul 2, 2004 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I got my Shure E3c in the other day, loving it so far. I took them to the gym today to listen to some music while on the eliptical machine. After about 10min I began to sweat much. Because of this, the earbuds wouldnt stay in my now wet ears. They kept sliding out. I had the cords wrapped over my ears as shown in the manual and on head-fi. Any ideas?? I was using the black rubber earpieces, but maybe the foamies would work better?

ALSO - how the heck is one supposed to fit the earbuds and cord (duh!) into that SHURE zip case with the wire spool?? I cant get them to fit w/o having a very tight fit which could possible damage the e3c. Is there some sort of "secret" way to get them in the case or am I just dumb??
lambda.gif

thanks!

Jul 2, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Use Foamies! And clean them in warm soapy water about every two weeks. Mine have been working great with no falling apart for about two months (the foam pieces falling apart, I mean)

Jul 2, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 15
alright I'll go for the foamies!!

Commando - I got them for $119 brand new from eCost so I figured I got a pretty good deal for my money. Coming from ER-4Ps, I'd say that the etys were a bit clearer in the upper range, but since I'm a basshead, the e3c work better for me. Also - you did try using an amp with the e3c right? They highs are much less veiled/muddy simply by adding my CMOY. This is with a Zen Xtra...

Jul 2, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I used my PPA with diamond buffer and AOS DAC... I was comparing with CD3K which are retty bright, and it probably wasn't a fair comparison. I settled on using $15 sony earbuds instead
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, I'm thinking about getting some cheapo earbuds myself as to not damage the e3c while exercising from sweat, dropping, etc. I'll test them out with the foamies and go from there. Also - do you know if the ER-4P foamies will fit the e3c? would they be better than the foamies that come with the e3c?

thanks

Jul 2, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
No idea, but I love the E3 foamies. No idea why you'd want to use the Ety's foamies in place of the e3 ones

Yes, ER4 foamies (and tri-flanges) fit the E3c. Why try the ety foamies? Because they are a little bit different in size and may fit your ears better (or worse). I got some small ety foamies for my E3s, when ety says small, they really mean small. They're a bit of a loose fit for me, but very comfortable and the sound is good. And the ety tri-flanges are wonderful for isolation, but not nearly as comfortable.

Jul 2, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 15
I've been happy with the Ety tri-flanges on my E3 for both regular use and workout purposes. The problem with using foamies for working out (which I did before on my E2) is that any sweat that runs into your ears is going to get soaked up, and the foamies get nasty very quickly. The tri-flanges make a good enough seal that sweat doesn't get inside your ear, and they go deep enough that they're well anchored and won't fall out with vigorous activity.

The major advantages of the Ety tri-flanges for the E3 are:
1) Shorter stem, which suits the shorter shaft of the E3 relative to the E5.

2) Shure wants about $10 + shipping for a single pair of tri-flanges. You can get 5 pairs of Ety tri-flanges for $15 shipped from iDealSound. Works out a lot better. I use two pairs of them on my E3 -- after I work out, I'll wash the pair I was wearing, put them on the desk to dry, and put the other (dry, clean) pair on the phones -- and still have some spares for stuff like letting friends audition the E3's. I did this with a coworker and he wound up buying his own pair of E3's -- I gave him the tips he used to audition mine, as a small apology for talking him into the purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 15
The ER-6 has a wider bore and it won't fit on the E3/ER-6i/ER-4. The tri-flange is the same for the ER-4 and the ER-6i, isn't it?

Anyway the ER-6i's weren't released in July, so it couldn't have been those.

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randyspawn
Dixie,

Just to verify, which tri-flange are you using, the er6 or er4? I'm thinking about doing the same on a pair of e3c's because I sweat pretty profusely when I run.

It's the ER-4 tri-flanges that I'm using. Supposedly the ER-6i's now use the same tri-flanges, but I know the original ER-6's have a larger shaft so the ER-4 tips don't fit. (And as far as I can tell, there are no tri-flanges for the ER-6, just a bi-flanged clear rubber tip.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back