Shure E3/E3c - a good match w/ iPod for rock?
Mar 30, 2005 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to get a smaller, less conspicuous pair of phones, preferably closed, to use with my ipod mini, and was wondering how the E3's match w/ ipods. I listen to primarily rock, but also some other varied stuff (Bjork, Cibo Matto, Prince). Would these be a good choice? I've tried the E2's and really didn't like the rolled off high end, and my MX400's just aren't cutting it. My KSC75's leak like mad, and I don't always want to take my 7506's with me (although I love the match b/t the 7506's and the mini).

Based on what sounds good to me so far (my 7506's), and what I'm looking for (small, preferably closed), would the E3's be the best bet for me? I'm trying to keep it under $150, and I can grab a set of E3's new for $120 shipped. It's either that, or abandon the small/inconspicuous headphone idea and grab some DT250-250's as a compliment to my 7506's.

I'll be doing some more searching on the Shure E3's, but thought I'd put a post out for opinions as well.

thanks

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi,

the Shure E3c will be the right choice for Rock/Pop because of its warm and full sound (very good mids). The bass is ok (better than EtyER4P and ER6). The first month with these earphones was ok (good but not superb). But if the sound is burned in (after 1-2 month) you will never leave them alone!!!!
Sorry for my bad English but I hope you know what i mean!!!
biggrin.gif

Marco

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by IC-Silencer
Hi,

the Shure E3c will be the right choice for Rock/Pop because of its warm and full sound (very good mids). The bass is ok (better than EtyER4P and ER6). The first month with these earphones was ok (good but not superb). But if the sound is burned in (after 1-2 month) you will never leave them alone!!!!
Sorry for my bad English but I hope you know what i mean!!!
biggrin.gif

Marco

I agree. These are better than ety's for rock and pop. However compared to the ER4, their highs are still rolled off. I heard adding impedance keeps the shure full sound, and improves the highs. I haven't tried adding impedance, but according to what I read it improves the already great sound by a lot. Without adding impedance and an ipod latin EQ seems to be the best way to help the highs. Their mids are great for rock/pop. They are very lush sounding.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
I agree. These are better than ety's for rock and pop. However compared to the ER4, their highs are still rolled off. I heard adding impedance keeps the shure full sound, and improves the highs. I haven't tried adding impedance, but according to what I read it improves the already great sound by a lot. Without adding impedance and an ipod latin EQ seems to be the best way to help the highs. Their mids are great for rock/pop. They are very lush sounding.

How do the E3's sound with no EQ applied? I use the latin and rock settings every once in a while, but on newer music, the sound starts clipping on these settings, so I'd prefer not having to use it.

Would they still be a better choice than the current 7506/V6's I'm using? I was thinking about the Ety ER6 for a while, but they're too darned hard to get in and out of the ears, plus they may sound pretty sterile, even compared to the 7506's...

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 10
C'mon, no more than 2 opinions on the E3's w/ an iPod??

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 10
I haven't heard the E3/E3c but I do have a set of the Er6i's and the E2c's the Er6i's get much more listening time at this point.I am waiting for my soft sleaves for my E2c's which may help them get more listening time though. From what I hear the Er6i's sound better unamped than the ER6's.
etysmile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 10
I don't have an iPod but I do have the E3 and the E2. The E3 is a much better earphone, but still shares the same "house sound" with a slightly rolled off high end. I have tried adding impedence to the E3 and although I didn't think so at first, I think it helps tremendously. To my ears, it tames the bass so it is more controlled, which probably lets the highs come through a little better.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 10
How would one add impedance to the E3's? Something like an Oelbach adaptor or the like>?

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Oehbach or Ety P to S converter. I have an Oehlbach.

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I use them right out of my 4G ipod, and I think they're terrific. Great sound, great isolation, and very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back