Shure e3 cable mod for iPhone
Feb 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

frankcent

100+ Head-Fier
Inspired by this youtube video( YouTube - iPhone / iPod Touch Headphone / Earbud Replacement ), I decided to replace the shure e3 cables with the pre-packed iphone headphone cables so I can use the phones with my iphone seamlessly.

Tools:
one soldering gun (no solder iron needed. The amount on the shure drivers are more than enough.)
one pocket knife
super glue

step 1
Disassemble the iphone earbuds like in the video.

step 2
open shure headphones.
The shell is made with 3 pieces of plastics.
You can pop the tip part by squeezing in your finger nail and constantly applying pressure then use the knife to pop it off once it starts to come off.
Then apply the pocket knife to the gap between the two pieces that hold the driver.

step 3
Once that is open, desolder the old cable. Take note of the colours of wires.

step 4
solder the white cables onto the driver. you can apply a small piece of tape to separate the two wires.

step 5
make a knot of the cable and force it into the bottleneck where the cable comes out of the housing.

*remember to test it out.*
step 6
put it back together and apply adequate amount of super glue.

sorry about the poor image quality.

The process was very easy and straightforward and since the soldering points on the drivers are enormous for shure's own thick cables, the soldering shouldn't be a problem at all.

the only problem I found is that if the headphones are wore behind the ears, the mic hangs right below right ear and is too far to talk to, but it still beats the original headphones.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 3
well, to use the iphone, you need the mic to talk on the phone, this mod gives you the mic right at the Y in the cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back