Shure E2C's or ER-4S or ER-4P or ER-6 ?
Sep 14, 2003 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CRJGuy

New Head-Fier
I guess I have not really made up my mind as yet which headphones will be the best for me. I could probably use some help. I am about to purchase a brand new iriver MP3 player(iFP-390T or 395T) with built in FM radio. My headphone purchase will be used mainly for this purchase. I travel all the time as I am a pilot so I will use them extensively on an airplane as I commute back and forth to work. I also plan to use them in the hotel and also working out in the hotel gym as well as sitting in airport terminals waiting for flights. I have sorta narrowed my search down to getting ear bud type headphones or canalphones. I wear full size headphones day in and day out up in the cockpit. $1000 Bose Aviation Noise Canceling headsets. I used to be very big into car audio and spent over 10 grand and competed nationally so I think I have a good idea of what sound quality, staging and imaging should be like. I just recently spent alot of time creating my new home theater system and went with Denon and Monitor Audio products. So now all that being said if you are still even reading. I figure there are only a few pair of headphones to consider. I like the idea of the Shure E2C's because of there reputation and the price of 74.25(Shure is giving 25% discount) is hard to beat. Also, the Etymotic product ER-4P with the adapter to make them the S model as well as the ER-4S and use the equalizer in the palyer to make sound chages or save some money and go with the ER-6. But the price goes up considerably for the ety's and I am not sure if it is worth it or not.

So what do you experienced folks think ?

Sep 14, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 3
I've owned both the ER4P and ER6. Simply put, both are worth every penny if you're an audio junkie. The ER4 is easier to insert for a good seal. It sounds better too. The only problem I have with the ER4 is the cord noise (occlusion?). You can't be moving about, eating or breathing too heavily. It gets quite annoying. The ER6 doesn't have this problem. It can be a pain to insert and get a good seal though. The ER6 sounds great - just not as great as the mighty ER4.

Basically if you'll be moving around a lot, I recommend the ER6. But if you'll be staying put while listening, it's a no brainer: ER4.

Sep 14, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 3
I would get the ER-4 for commuting and the E2 for the gym. Or, get the E2 first and see if you like it. If you do, add the custom mold and be done. You can always add the ER-4 if you feel the need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back