Shure E2Cs a step up from Sony MDR-EX71s
Nov 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I have the chance to pick up a pair of e2c IEMs for $40 and was wondering if that'll be a step up from the Sony buds I currently use.

I have a pair of Denon 1001s with a cmoy amp at home and would be using the IEMs as my daily pair for traveling. My usual listening consists of mostly rock, jazz with female vocals, and some symphonic/orchestral stuff.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 12
E2c will offer clearer sounds while lacking in the bass (impact). AlLso E2c is a very very old model i dont think you can even get that anymore?

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 12
I keep hearing people talk about the lack of bass with the E2c's, however, i have had mine for about 3 years, and think that the bass is great.
They do need inserting correctly though. I used the medium sponges, and found these give the best seal.

As to the original question, not sure how much difference you would hear, but the E2c's are a great set of phones.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 12
i agree with the majority about lack of bass. i find the EX71 very muddy. i stopped using them completely after i got the vibe. as for the e2c, they really lack in bass. my friend who is a bass anemic tolerable even regret buying his e2c.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 12
I also find the E2c's to sound dark, with little to no bass impact. The noticeably rolled-off highs especially turned me off.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 12
but are they better than the ex71's? id say yes, they use a bigger (assumed stronger) driver and the build is fairly solid.

are the e2c's a great upgrade? no because you will end up wondering what the next model up sounds like.

my advice would be, save up a little more cash and buy a good quality set of phones that you can be fully happy with.

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the e2c's a great upgrade? no because you will end up wondering what the next model up sounds like.
my advice would be, save up a little more cash and buy a good quality set of phones that you can be fully happy with.

Oh yeah i ended up getting the ER6i after that (lack of bass in double flange triple flange is OK but too fussy to put on), but then i got the Triple Fi after that all within 3 years... NOW this meant that if i got the Triple Fi, 3 years ago? or straight after E2c would've saved money and dont needed to buy ER6i :p

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Any suggestions on an IEM for around $100 then? I saw the Klipsch deal and thought about getting a pair of Custom 1 or 2s, but really have no idea where else to begin.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 12
i've had the ec2's for over a year and have upgraded to KSC75 purchased @ radioshack for 5 and change. I find the ec2 a bit recesssed and muddy, and bass is a bit lacking. More imporantly for me, though, is the fact that the ec2 are very bulky and listening to them becomes fatiguing

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 12
i use the ex71's everyday and once had the e2c's. the ex71s arent great and break really easily but the e2c's were the most boring headphone ive ever owned and uncomfortable (although better sound isolation), sold them in under 2 weeks and never missed them. i prefer neutral sounding headphones as opposed to consumer tuned but the e2c's had the ability to make good music sound like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back