Shure e2c vs Kilpsch Image s4 vs etymotic er6i
Nov 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sean8

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting either the Shure e2c, the Klipsch Image S4 or the etymotic er6i earphones. Ever since I got my HD555's, I can't use my ipod anywhere but my house because I can't stand my $10 Sony buds. I'd love to take my ipod with me again.

I listen to mostly rock and alternative. I listen to a lot of the Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Staind, Linkin Park, and also some softer stuff like Coldplay and Keane. Which set would be best for me?

My price range is about $50-$70. That's about all the disposable funds I've got right now. But if you have any other ideas that falls in there, please go ahead and suggest.

I was leaning toward the e2cs but I keep hearing great things about the s4's and I hear great things about the er6is, but I heard the cable is really weak.

Please help me out.

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm probably around near 100 hours burn-in on the S4 and do like the sound; what's written here about it is right on. it's warmer, got a nice full bass, but there is some sibilance and harshness you'll notice to the high end (doesn't happen much for me). the isolation is good with L gels but it's not nearly as good than shures do with their olives and this is noticeable when walking in the city, at the gym, etc. Soundstage is better than the shure I have.

I got the SCL3 when guitar center put these on major sale. There is amazing midrange as reported which really makes voices upfront and clear in a way I hadn't heard before. The low end is missing unless well-built into the song already. If you turn up the volume looking for a fuller sound, you'll get fatigued.

I feel like I select different music depending on which of these I have in. For rock, they both have their strengths. Accoustic guitar sounds better on the SCL3 hands down.

I ordered comply tips for the S4 and hope that gets better isolation as that's important to me.

I've been looking for something in between these two sounds, with clarity of the shure with some more fullness...is this phonak?

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 5
not sure about the price of scl3 but im pretty sure they are over 100 but i could be mistaken

i used to own the er6i. i absolutely loved them. to put it short..they are more of a detail earphone with not as much emphasis on the bass. i dont listen to the type of music that you do so i really dont know what kind of sound they are but i think you may be more satisfied with something that has a bit more bass than the er6i has

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks a lot. I bought the Kipsch Image S4s. I was reading really good things and they're supposed to work well for all sorts of music. I guess I'll find out when I get them.
I paid $83.98 with one day shipping on amazon.com with a free trial of Amazon Prime. I'll have them Monday.

Thanks a lot for all the thought.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 5
The Klipsch are great. Don't fit my ears too well, but are far superior to the Shure SE210s I used to have. Far superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back