shure e2c vs etymotic er6
Jul 26, 2004 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ipushplanks

New Head-Fier
i have been shopping for a good set of cans for a while now i want something good, all i can ever afford is $20 sony's from walmart.

anyway the more i search and especially the more i read this forum i get more and more torn between these cans "shure e2c" and the "etymotic er6".

could some one help me out ? i'll be using a phillips expanium mp3/cd player and a nomad jukebox 3 with an amp <coming soon>.

i listen to punk/hard rock <the used, nofx,dead kennedys,thrice> and classical as well and some hip hop like linkin park, m&m.i just want a good set of cans that are closed.

like i said all i ever had was $20 cans from wallyworld i want somethying that sounds good and ihave found the shuires for $63 .

so if thats something god to start with then cool but i want somethin good and isolates noise.

thanks for the hlp
johnny

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 10
It seems that for the most part people tend to like the er6 a bit more. I haven't heard them though so I can't really comment on them. I do have the E2's and I'll tell you this much, if you're used to the stuff that you'd get at Walmart, the E2 will likely blow you away. I find them very musical and enjoyable. They have a great soundstage. My only complaint is that they are quite lean in the treble department. This makes them sound a bit on the dark side and hides a lot of detail that people tend to like. I guess the other place they lack is in speed. compared to some of the other headphones I have, the drivers don't react to changes as quickly. Like I say, they are very musical and enjoyable though. $63 is a great price, I got mine from Guitar Center for $55. They're a great deal for this price, the isolation alone is worth more than half the cost. Try and get a few more opinions on both before you make your decision. Good luck and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jul 26, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Is that $63 brand new? IF so I would definitely take them over the er-6's which are (cheapest I have found) typically $99 or more. Especially becuase of what you listed as your preference in music.

Even if they are not brand new that is a good price and worth considering because even if you got them and found that you didn't like them you could easily resell them for around that price. There are some places that will allow you to test cans like these and return them within 30 days.

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 10
we have a local music shop but i'm not sure if they stock them ?

i'm definetly looking for something better than sony mdr-v150

they're ok for something to hold me down ti'll i can get my shures which are the ones i think i'm going for .

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10
I bought the E2s recently. For the most part, i have not been disappointed. One small gripe is that i bought them to sleep with, and they are great, but you can't really sleep on your side with them, there's a point that pressed against my ear when on my side.

I love my Grado SR-60s, but the E2s can go places the SRs cannot. For that, I am happy.

I, like you considered the ETY ER6's. I went with the Shure's for basically 3 reasons:

#1: The E2's are built more rugged than the ERs. Both the cabling and the driver housing are anything but fragile.

#2: Most reviews said the E2's sounded better and the reviews that said otherwise didn't express such a difference to warrant the $40 extra.

#3: The E2's come with the coolest protective case ever.

Jul 27, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBishop
I bought the E2s recently. For the most part, i have not been disappointed. One small gripe is that i bought them to sleep with, and they are great, but you can't really sleep on your side with them, there's a point that pressed against my ear when on my side.

I love my Grado SR-60s, but the E2s can go places the SRs cannot. For that, I am happy.

I, like you considered the ETY ER6's. I went with the Shure's for basically 3 reasons:

#1: The E2's are built more rugged than the ERs. Both the cabling and the driver housing are anything but fragile.

#2: Most reviews said the E2's sounded better and the reviews that said otherwise didn't express such a difference to warrant the $40 extra.

#3: The E2's come with the coolest protective case ever.

You are definitely right about the E2's being more rugged. Those have some pretty solid wiring. The ety's are a little more dainty. I just wish I could find a place that would let me compare the two.

I think for my money though, the shures would handle the job. Plus, I want a nice/decent pair of canalphones for both everyday use and for sports and heavy activities. So I figured I could get these E2's now to satisfy me temporarily. Then come Xmas time I can get the Er-4p's and use the E2's for workout type activities. I might just get the sony ex71's for that though since they are cheaper, but it is hard to beat shure's warranty.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipushplanks
i have been shopping for a good set of cans for a while now i want something good, all i can ever afford is $20 sony's from walmart.

anyway the more i search and especially the more i read this forum i get more and more torn between these cans "shure e2c" and the "etymotic er6".

could some one help me out ? i'll be using a phillips expanium mp3/cd player and a nomad jukebox 3 with an amp <coming soon>.

i listen to punk/hard rock <the used, nofx,dead kennedys,thrice> and classical as well and some hip hop like linkin park, m&m.i just want a good set of cans that are closed.

like i said all i ever had was $20 cans from wallyworld i want somethying that sounds good and ihave found the shuires for $63 .

so if thats something god to start with then cool but i want somethin good and isolates noise.

thanks for the hlp
johnny

Scroll down to near the end of THIS ARTICAL regarding the e6's, I may go for a pair myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back