Shure E2c v. UE Super.fi 3 studio v. Etymotic ER-6 v. Sony MDR-EX71SL
Mar 23, 2006 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Paendrag

New Head-Fier
Hello all.
Sorry for my first post being a question and all, but I need some emergency help, and I though this was the best place to ask
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for some in-ear phones for the usual stuff (walking, buss rides, airplane trips etc.). My main sound system is a Sennheiser HD650 with a PortaCorda MKIII, so the in-ears will only be used for the aforementioned scenarios. My source is a Dell Axim X50v (a PDA), which is quite capable of driving the HD650's (relatively), so I doubt they will have any trouble driving the in-ears.

Approximate prices for the products are as follows (I will be buying them here in Norway):

Sony MDR-EX71SL: 375NOK ($55)
Shure E2c: 740NOK ($110)
UE Super.fi 3 Studio: 995NOK ($150)
Etymotic ER-6: 1095NOK ($165)

I am willing to go as high in price as the Etymotic (if you think the prices are high, Norway is a very expensive country), but any comments on the Sonys?I have heard some good things about them, and since I am not very rich saving money is certainly something I am interested in.

I fear I have no chance to test them before I buy, so I will have to base myself on your advice (if you are willing to help). For comparison I love my HD650s, while the DT 234 PROs i own sound generaly bad compared to the HD650, and particularly the treble is very annoying.

Thank you for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 6
I didn't like the EX71s very much. Veiled and shrill highs (in the beginning) gets slightly better later on.

Only positives are that it's fairly comfortable with decent isolation.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 6
I tried the EX71s. Then, I tried Shure E4c to see if spending $150 more was worth it. I liked the Shures a lot more. They make the EX71s sound like crap - which I think they do, even when not compared to a $200 - $250 IEM.

I thought, OK. I'll use the EX71s at work, because they sound better than buds and they are much less isolating than the E4c. They were so bad compared to what I am used to that I couldn't stand it. They are worse than my MDR-V300s.

I gave in to all the hype on this forum and I bought the KSC-75s for $20. Those things blew the EX71s away.

What I'm trying to say is this: Don't bother with the EX71s. Extremely fatiguing on the high end with yucky, bloated, muddy bass on the low end.

I haven't tried any of the others that you have listed.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Paendrag -- sorry about your (Norwegian) wallet. Ouch -- that's a lot to pay for Etymotic ER-6's!

I have the ER-6's and the Sony EX-71's (among others). None have the "sound-for-the-cost" that my new Koss PortaPro's have, but that's comparing apples and oranges. I presume you want in-ear 'phones for portability and isolation.

I like the Sony's more than most people on Head-Fi seem to like them. If you got them now and saved your money for a year to buy better earphones, it wouldn't kill you. I find the Sony's the most comfortable I've worn (and I own the Panasonics, the new Creatives, Sony EX-51's, and Shure E3C's, in addition to the ones listed above and the earbuds that come with players). They isolate somewhat, and if you take care of them (don't throw them in your pocket or a book bag without putting them in some kind of protective case or plastic bag), you might avoid the issue with the cords that some people experience. They are "fun" sounding -- not audiophile.

The Etymotics (and other in-ear "monitor" -- IEM -- earphones) will isolate better, though -- a big point on airplanes, busses, etc. The isolation and clearer sound are the reason for the higher price of the more expensive IEMs.

Do you have the chance to buy the new Creative canal phones? They're just becoming available in the U.S. via mail order, and I believe they can be purchased in Ireland and the U.K. -- online, and perhaps even in shops. What about Norway? They're my most recent purchase, and I already like them more than I like the Sony's (they might even cost less for you). The Creatives would be a good starting point while you save money for something like the Etymotics, which really do isolate very well and provide a good basic level of "Head-Fi" sound.

I hope you get something you like, at a good price.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paendrag
Approximate prices for the products are as follows (I will be buying them here in Norway):

Sony MDR-EX71SL: 375NOK ($55)
Shure E2c: 740NOK ($110)
UE Super.fi 3 Studio: 995NOK ($150)
Etymotic ER-6: 1095NOK ($165)

Some of them can be found cheaper on ebay.co.uk.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Do you have the chance to buy the new Creative canal phones? They're just becoming available in the U.S. via mail order, and I believe they can be purchased in Ireland and the U.K. -- online, and perhaps even in shops. What about Norway? They're my most recent purchase, and I already like them more than I like the Sony's (they might even cost less for you). The Creatives would be a good starting point while you save money for something like the Etymotics, which really do isolate very well and provide a good basic level of "Head-Fi" sound.

I hope you get something you like, at a good price.

Some shops have the Creative EP-630 ($35), but none have the EP-635. I can also find the "Skullcandy Smokin buds" for about $55, but I'm not sure they give the isolation I need. I will jsut about always be using these walking along a noisy road or on an airplane, so they really need to isolate well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquer
Some of them can be found cheaper on ebay.co.uk.

But buying from outside Norway costs me +25% tax + fees for customs, and it takes more time (I hope to have them pretty soon). Thanks for the tip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back