Shure e2c to E4c worth the upgrade?
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ups767300

New Head-Fier
I have used the E2c for about 8 months now and love them, I've read a lot about the other headphones in Shure's line and think I'm probably missing out on much better sound quality, even though my modded E2s sound quite good. Is there enough of a difference between the E2cs and the E4s to justify an upgrade? I know this can be different for everyone as nobodys ears are the same, What are your opinions?
Andrew

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 16
What is your source? Will you be using an amp? I'm also contemplating on whether I should keep my E2c or dump them and go for the E4.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 16
I run Foobar2000(asio)-> SB audigy 2 zs notebook-> Shure e2cs
no amp yet, Might get one in the future.

Forgot to mention most of what i listen to are mp3s encoded at atleast 192kbps, most are higher.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 16
Without a doubt its a big improvement. I went from e2c's to e3c's to e4c's. Each step was a definite improvement -- not just a small overexagerated one - but a very real improvement.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ups767300

Forgot to mention most of what i listen to are mp3s encoded at atleast 192kbps, most are higher.

you should use the foobar resamlper. It does it so much better then the audigy. I am running that exact same setup.

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 16
Im running my E4 unamped off a Creative Zen Touch. It is a big, big improvement over the E2.

It's much more refined while retaining the fun factor of the E2. The bass is tighter, faster and less muddy. Mids are clearer too. So u get the E2 fun with lotsa refinement.

( btw i prefer the E4c unamped over the ER4S amped[just too clinical for me, ymmv] )

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 16
I did this exact thing a while ago and havent looked back (plus the e4c's are really nice quality and more durable re: replaceable sound tubes ta boot)

In the spirit of head-fi, go for it, your ears well rejoice while your wallet cries
evil_smiley.gif

thebrain

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 16
I own(ed) E2, E3 & E4.
If you're used to the E2 and love them, you obviously value sound quality and don't mind paying in the form of having less convenient IEMs then the Sony MDR71, which is more compact and comfortable.
Going to the E4 is a real big step up, and definately worth it. Compared to the E2 expect a more balanced tonality with better defined bass and treble, more detail nd dynamics, all together giving a far more musical result.
I have them from more then a year now and enjoy them each day, feeling they are completely satisfying for on the go use.

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ups767300

Having this rig I recommend you the Westone UM2. If you really like the bassy E2 signature, maybe the E4's (wich are far better than the E2 too) whould be somekind of 'thin' for your tastes.

UM2 will shine with a good soundcard like yours.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I own(ed) E2, E3 & E4.
If you're used to the E2 and love them, you obviously value sound quality and don't mind paying in the form of having less convenient IEMs then the Sony MDR71, which is more compact and comfortable.
Going to the E4 is a real big step up, and definately worth it. Compared to the E2 expect a more balanced tonality with better defined bass and treble, more detail nd dynamics, all together giving a far more musical result.
I have them from more then a year now and enjoy them each day, feeling they are completely satisfying for on the go use.

I've the MDR71 and I'm thinking in an upgrade. Your oppinion is that the MDR71 quality is similar to the e2c?

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 16
I thank you all for your help, I am going to go ahead and purchase the e4cs

I also owned the mdr71s before I got the E2cs, I would not say they are similar in quality (they definitely do not have good build quality). The first thing I noticed when I switched was that the E2cs seemed to have more detail and the bass was not boomy, compared to higher end earphones it probably is though. The E2cs have a cleaner, clearer sound than the Sonys in my opinion.

Aug 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 16
I just upgraded from the E2c's to the E4G's this week (had the E2c's for over a year) and the jump in sound quality is amazing, especially on my Zen Vision:M and when using with my X-Fi at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back