Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones?
Mar 7, 2006 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Regulator10

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.. i just orderd a Zen Vision: M Mp3 Player and im lookin to order a good pair of headphones too.. i got some questions too..

I am kinda intrested in getting a noise cancelling headset but im not sure if those are more focused on noise cancelling hence making the audio quality not so good?

i dnt want those huge fat headphones if u know what i mean.. i dnt have anything against them its just that if i was to go out in public or jog in them it wouldnt look right heh..

problems ive been havin is my previous headsets ive used i play on pretty high volume to the point where other ppl can also hear and get quite annoyed.. so i would also like to fix that problem as wel(not too important), but as far as noise cancelling i was wonderin if this Shure E2c sound isolating earphone set is what im lookin for? i found it at a website for only 75$

But if u guys got any better recromendations let me know! i cant spend more than 75 tho T_T that Zen Vision M put a serious dent in my wallet..

hehe thanks guys!
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 19
I'd go for the shures, they isolate VERY well. e2s got GREAT bass, better than e3s IMO. My volume is around 4-8 on my vision m out of 26 when I'm using my e4s. It just gets annoying taking them on and off when people talk to you.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Your plan to cancel outside noise and prevent sound leakage is a good one.

Do you have any history with in-ear 'phones? Some people take to them right away, and some never do ... but probably most have little or no trouble getting used to something in the ear (it's not that big a deal) and getting a good fit, which determines the sound quality and the level of isolation.

The E2's are supposed to be bassy, boomy and fun, and a Head-Fi starter drug -- but there are also options such as the new Sennheiser canal phones (right at your budget max.) which are getting written about a lot in Head-Fi threads ... maybe not true isolators, but canal phones (remember, not earbuds) such as the Sennheisers, Creatives, Sony's, JVC's and Panasonics do stay in the ear better than the earbuds that come with players and they prevent the sound leakage you mentioned, while isolating somewhat, if not almost totally like the more expensive versions of in-ears.

Even a canal phone in the $25 - $50 range would enhance the fun of listening to your new player, so you'll no doubt be taking at least an inital step up with whatever you get. Then you can start saving and shell out more money for another upgrade next year (sorry about your wallet ... at least with in-ear 'phones, you might not hear it scream).

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 19
sweet, thanks labreahead! btw this IS actually like my first time buying good quality headphones.. this is the most i ever spent on a mp3 player as well.. so i thought since i spent 330$ for vision M + the full body invisible shield, i mise well get a decent set of headphones.. anyways the Sennheiser CX 300 headphones look pretty good, btw how are the Etymotic ER-6 Isolators? they look good but i doubt i can find any at my price range tho T_T o well so i guess i got 2 options so far, the CX 300 or the Shure E2c; cool! thanks again i really appriciate ur time

ps again guys, if u know of any good deals at any sites let me know
smily_headphones1.gif
id really appriciate it!

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 19
Head on over to http://www.earphonesolutions.com/index.html and shop around , they should price-match or give a lower price for anything you can find. See what kind of deal you can get on the Shure E3c from them , might not be that much more , I have them and they are very nice.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Shop around for a good price on the Etymotics -- online at the Head-Fi sponsors (you might have to e-mail them to find out about coupons or Head-Fi deals), of course, and the really enormous online retailers. I paid something like $119 over a year ago for a pair of the less-bassy ER-6's, then I started seeing $89 or maybe even less occasionally for the easier-to-drive and more "fun" ER-6i's.

The Etymotics ER-6i's are tiny and would also be a good choice for your consideration. They seem really insubstantial, and some people find then to have a lot of treble and not the boomy bass they're used to from auto and home systems ... and I even "recruited over" my pair of Etyotics for some Shure E3C's before I gave the Etys another try with the foam tips ... and now I really like the Etys, too. Partly, it's that the ear (and the brain?) must adapt to whatever you get (and I switch back and forth a lot). Plus there's always second-guessing of yourself when money is involved. (Oh -- the Etymotics isolate very well with the flanged tips; even better than my E3C's ... and they isolate well even with the foamies, too. So that's something in the Etys' favor.)

The E2's are not as widely popular as some on Head-Fi, but they have their loyal fans, who really like the bassy sound and isolation, at that price point. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment on that. Shure is said to have good customer service, for what that's worth.

You're probably not going to go wrong at this significant but relatively modest price range (be afraid, be very afraid). But my hunch for you is that, as a first pair, you might want to "go conservative," seeing as the price tag for your nice new Creative player is messing with your mind. The new Sennhesiers, or the Creative version of the Sharps, might be a safer, easier-to-adapt-to transition/step up for you (I know, I know -- not the "Head-Fi way"), but probably still very good in their class. But then, the lower you start, you will just eventually have another level of Head-Fi Upgrade-itis to deal with in the future.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Mar 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 19
Don't overlook the Westone UM1's. I had e2c's and they're good, but the Westones are a little more well-rounded. Great bass, but no overpowering. Very comfortable. Great customer service, just like Shure.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regulator10
heya guys! i think ima go with the shure E2c or somthin.. but i ran into this:
the Shure E2G Sound Isolating Earphones: http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=SHUE2G now do u think that is better for gaming? or maybe the E2c's would be better for my vision M?
or just stick with http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=SHUE2C.. was thinkin about gettin the er6i's but im still not sure man this is hard..

The Shure E2c/E2/E2G are all the same. They sound exactly the same, the only difference is the color and cable length. For asfar as I know, the E2G has a shorter cable.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 19
ok guys.. i see 4 headsets im intrested in:

Ec2 vs ER-6i = ?

and

(if i can get a good price)
Ec3 vs Westone UM1 = ?

and im going to use it with a Zen Vision:M if that makes any difference.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Go to EarPhoneSolutions, add the Shure e2g to your cart, and enter SELECT30 in the coupon code box when checking out. $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back