Shure E2c (scl2) vs. Senn CX300
Jan 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
I already own the d-JAYS....but sometimes I find the bass (from headphone out of iPod) lacking, or sometimes the sound is a little too bright or harsh - fatiguing?. And I would also like another IEM/canalphone as comparison.

So I am tossing up between the E2c and CX300. How do these two models compare with each other? Also, how do they compare with the d-JAYS?

I'd like to choose out of the Shure and the Senn for an IEM to use in conjunction with the d-JAYS, as I live outside USA, and Shure and Senn are available readily in my locality (d-JAYS I ordered from Audiocubes).

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 17
if you are looking for bass and you dont want bright or harsh highs, defenitly go the cx300 route

I owned the e2cs are they were alright, but the bass SUCKED

ps- if you wanna get rid of your d-JAYS I can take em off your hands for ya
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are looking for bass and you dont want bright or harsh highs, defenitly go the cx300 route

I owned the e2cs are they were alright, but the bass SUCKED

ps- if you wanna get rid of your d-JAYS I can take em off your hands for ya
biggrin.gif

completely wrong statement, e2c is more bass than sharp highs and the e2c are just better defined in every way over the cx300, now the cx400 or 500 may be more in line or better than e2c

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 17
maybe it was just my ears but I found the e2cs to have weak bass, and a buddy of mine has the cx300s and he only listens to rap and techno and even said cx300s have better/more bass than my e2cs

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 17
well if you want some cx300's I might be able to cut you a deal, just shoot me a pm.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Except in situations when I need good isolation I always leave my E2C at home. I like the bass from the CX300 a lot more especially when listening to DNB.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 17
I had both and found the bass lacking on the E2C. I tried foamies and the clear ear pieces and found the foam a little better. They did have much better definition than the CX300. I found the CX300 much more comfortable than the e2c.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh the cx300 have bass yes, but the e2c have just as much but its a better set of phones all round

I highly doubt e2c's have as much bass as CX300's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both and found the bass lacking on the E2C. I tried foamies and the clear ear pieces and found the foam a little better. They did have much better definition than the CX300. I found the CX300 much more comfortable than the e2c.

and x2, I'm the one that got his CX300's ^^
biggrin.gif
...hmmm E2C with the bass of a CX300...did someone say Super.fi EB?

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 17
e2c's bass is just reaaallly tight, and that's after nearly a year of using them and finally getting a good fit (using the medium flex sleeves), and it's got a tiny soundstage. On the plus side, Shure's warranty rules, and isolation is excellent...

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 17
You might also consider the Goldring GX200. Very bassy but very good canal phone. Tons more detail than the CX300, much better midrange and soundstage.

Probably in the same price range as the E2C.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 17
I had both and E2C really has much more detail. The CX300 was too much bass for me and I prefer a tighter bass and this is what the E2C offers.
I think it's much better generally.

My cable just broke and as I started to get problems with in-ears anyway (not very comfortable, especially when it's cold outside and the in-ears get cold too) I just got K171 supra-aural headphones,
I think they're better than both of the in-ears and much more comfortable but the E2C is just 7 months old so I think I'll get new ones from Shure. It's always good to have a smaller alternative.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Going between the two, I found the EC2's more 'middly' sounding and less warm than the Sennheisers. The CX300 has more weight and for some types of music, I prefer them. The Shure sounds quite harsh if you jump between the two of them.

Ian

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both and E2C really has much more detail. The CX300 was too much bass for me and I prefer a tighter bass and this is what the E2C offers.
I think it's much better generally.

My cable just broke and as I started to get problems with in-ears anyway (not very comfortable, especially when it's cold outside and the in-ears get cold too) I just got K171 supra-aural headphones,
I think they're better than both of the in-ears and much more comfortable but the E2C is just 7 months old so I think I'll get new ones from Shure. It's always good to have a smaller alternative.

My housemate got a pair of E2C probably just over a year ago and a little while back the cable wore through and became intermittant. He sent them back to Shure under the 2 year warrety and got sent a new pair of SE210s (I think) no questions asked.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Interesting. I listen to CX-300's out of a Nano for much of my knocking around listening. Jut borrowed some E2C's to hear the difference. I think the amount of bass is the same just that on the E2C it's more clearly defined, doesn't have that low end bloom that can make the bass *seem* more prominent. The level of detail between the two was really what got me, the E2C's are quite better, with the capacity to resolve detail and hear into the mix further. I'm surprised someone would find the Shure's brighter as I though they were a bit more relaxed in the high end, missing some of that etched sound that can begin to grate on the senses after long listening sessions with the CX-300's. The CX300's are a great value since you can find them for around $35 or so and a light years ahead of the stock earbuds while allowing for great comfort and good isolation but the E2C is a better sounding earphone to be sure, just not quite as comfortable or svelte. I'm curious to try the CX-400's to see if they've taken care of that etched high end to use for my jogging/workout earphones.

The SE530's have taken up residence at home.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back