Shure e2c replacement / upgrade
Jul 17, 2007 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cooperg

New Head-Fier
I purchased a set of Shure e2cs about three years ago, and they are starting to die on me. I've been very happy with them and they quite reasonably priced now £34, so I'm tempted to just buy another pair. I'd like to try something new, but I don't want to too much more (up to £50/$100 or so), and obviously I'd like them to sound at least as good as the e2cs. I want some sort of isolation, but it doesn't need to be as good as the shures.

I'm currently using Sennheiser CX300, and although I like the bass on them, I miss the detail of the e2cs. I'm tempted by the Crossroads X3 - are they as good as the e2c? Any other recommendations?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I upgraded from the Shure e2cs to the Crossroad X3s. Have to say that the increase was definitely there.

The X3s just seemed fuller and to have more body in general, but with some semblance of stage.

The Shures sounded more like sound being injected into my head, and with a little too much emphasis on treble (post kramer mod anyhow).

The Shures tended to offer more isolation however.

One of my friends tried testing both of them out and he preferred the Shures, so I suppose its a matter of preference...

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 15
I upgraded from the Shure E2s to the Super.fi 5 Pros. There was a huge difference between the two. The 5 Pros have huge soundstage and great bass response. The highs hit it just right for me as well. These are great sounding phones for under $200.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the replies. More good feedback for the X3s. The Super.fi 5 Pros sound great, but they are about double what I want to spend
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. More good feedback for the X3s. The Super.fi 5 Pros sound great, but they are about double what I want to spend
frown.gif

They're actually $150 on Amazon.com. So its not quite that bad.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're actually $150 on Amazon.com. So its not quite that bad.
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks, but Amazon.co.uk won't ship to the UK, but assuming I could find another US retailer with a similar price - shipping, import vat and customs would bring them to about $200

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the etymotics er6/er6i if you are into details, they make e2c's sound muddy and unnatural and can be found around 60-70ish

Thank you. I'll look into those. I remember considering them when I first bought the Shure's. Don't remember why I chose the Shure's instead, might have just been the price.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 15
have you considered the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 studios? From what I've heard and read regarding lower-end IEMs, the super.fi 3 IEMs blow away the e2c as far as sound quality and sound signature go. for the $60 USD price, they are hard to beat, considering they are in the same range as the Etymotic er6i and Shure e2c

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 studios? From what I've heard and read regarding lower-end IEMs, the super.fi 3 IEMs blow away the e2c as far as sound quality and sound signature go. for the $60 USD price, they are hard to beat, considering they are in the same range as the Etymotic er6i and Shure e2c

Thanks. The super.fi 3 are closer to my price range. They seem to be about £60 over here though. Amazon Uk is selling the Shure e3c (only in white) at the same price, and Etymotic 6 / 6i are also a similar price. The budget options are another pair of e2c for £34 or the X3 for £28.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 15
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I'm trying to decide on the er6i's or the super.fi 3s. Both the same prices pretty much, I just can't decide... I mostly listen to Rock/Metal/Hardcore/Grindcore and I currently love my SR-80s.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 15
Its funny how a lot of people consider the jump from e2c to the Mylar X3's as an upgrade, when here where I live, the e2cs cost TWICE as much as x3's ordered and shipped for free by Jaben
wink.gif

Just an excellent bang-for-the-buck phone, them x3s, i must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back