shure e2c or sony ex81?
May 14, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
which should i get

May 14, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 33
Well, if I was in the right mood I would go into all the details & find out the specificts of your situation. But I am in more of a drive-by-post mood, so here is what I have to say in responce to your short & consise question...

Purchase the Shure E2C as soon as you can & forget that you ever wanted those Sony blasphemes of Hi-Fi cans.

May 14, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 33
well i didn't really want the ex81s i was just making sure that they weren't some gem in the steaming pile

May 14, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 33
ok here's a better question... if i don't like the ex71 is the ex81 enough of an improvement to make me like it

May 14, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
ok here's a better question... if i don't like the ex71 is the ex81 enough of an improvement to make me like it

yes.
icon10.gif

May 14, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp

No
plainface.gif

...now who is going to pipe in with "maybe?"
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
No
plainface.gif

...now who is going to pipe in with "maybe?"
biggrin.gif

sure i'll take a maybe. after all, there is this thread talking about how the ex81's are improvements over the ex71. However, if you read to the end to here , especially to bangraman's post, he says they're the same as the ex71's, the fit is just different. I'm not claiming to know either way. But, you may find the sound different/better. So i'll go with 'maybe'

May 14, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 33
I have both. I can wear the Sonys for unlimited time with no discomfort. I can wear the Shures for about 2 hours max before my ears are killing my (no matter which size plugs). I almost exclusively wear the Sonys now.

May 14, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 33
i prefer the ex81 over the e2c. and yes, i have both. i do wonder how many here actually have both, or are they basing their comments on "because shure is a more well-known name in the industry for professional audio equipment, so they have gotta be better" thinking.

May 14, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i prefer the ex81 over the e2c. and yes, i have both. i do wonder how many here actually have both, or are they basing their comments on "because shure is a more well-known name in the industry for professional audio equipment, so they have gotta be better" thinking.

no, it's because the ex71, which is what people are talking about 98% of the time sony is mentioned here, is crap.

I'm sure many 'regular' people would prefer the ex71 to the er4 because, well, most people like lots of bass. I'm not questioning you, digdub, just saying that a 'preference' doesn't necessarily designate a more accurate headphone.

May 14, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr
I have both. I can wear the Sonys for unlimited time with no discomfort. I can wear the Shures for about 2 hours max before my ears are killing my (no matter which size plugs). I almost exclusively wear the Sonys now.

did you try the new ultra soft sleeves for the shure? I'm useing them now, and my ears never tire from them. (the time was about 1-2h for me too untill the flex started to hurt.)
I have not heard the sony, all i can give you is my impression of the shure, which I like more and more. Sure, I can imagine better cans (like my hd 600), but for commuting, these things rock. They have nice bass (to my ears), which makes listening fun.

May 14, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #13 of 33
I think that there are definitely some grounds for liking the EX71 over the E2c depending on your listening/wearing preference. The fit is more comfortable, you can let it dangle around your neck and pull out/put it back in more easily. The small case is kind of nice. The EX71 also has a very large seeming bloated bass which may suit some people's listening. It also has somewhat etched trebles (for the first six months to a year or so of it's life at least
biggrin.gif
) and people with 'consumer tastes' may feel that this is higher resolution than the E2c.

But the E2c has better sound quality, a well balanced, more tonal and less excessive bass, much higher isolation and noticeably higher efficiency. It also has a considerably more secure and stable fit *once properly worn*.

And yes, the EX81 are essentially the same phones as the EX71. It just fits different which gives you less bass in most cases.

May 14, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 33
EX81 >>> E2C bigtime...

E2C are godawful sounding phones. I dont know how anybody could reccomend them over anything. They have no high frequency extension and awful mids... The only thing they have going for them is high isolation, and with that you get annoying microphonics and "inside your own head" hearing.

May 14, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr

I have similar feelings & experiences with & about the two forementioned canalphones comfert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back