Shure E2c or Etymotic ER6/ER6i?
Nov 29, 2005 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dkjohnso

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking to buy some noise isolating earbuds for plane/train trips. Let me start off by saying that I am a big music fan, but not a hardcore audiophile. I am more interested in sound isolation. I have been looking at the Shure E2c, and the Etymotic ER6/ER6i. Which of these blocks out the most noise? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 7
You'll want a source with a decent bass boost, that's for sure. I have two EQ presets enabled in Patchmix DSP on my E-MU 1212m for bass boosting my ER-6s. One is a low shelf EQ at 80 Hz (lowest it goes), 10 dB gain. The other is a parametric EQ at 80 Hz, 10 semitone range, 10 dB gain. I basically have 20 dB of gain on the bass. Suprisingly, there is no distortion unless I play at loud volumes (which I neither like nor need because of the isolation). Infact, I can increase that total gain to around 23 dB and still not get distortion.

I find the ER-6s have plenty of bass out of my little Sony portable radio (that hi-fi one that Xin sells) with the bass boost enabled. I'm quite a basshead and I'm satisfied with them out of my Sony, but then again portable audio isn't a big concern for me. But out of my 1212m, they are
basshead.gif
I mean, I boosted the bass on my DT 990 Pros a little and I'm satisfied with the bass on properly EQed ER-6s - that out to tell you something.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Does the er6i sound horriable in term of bass? I was thinking of picking one up, but I read about how er6i had no bass at all and almost made the music sound "winey"

the bass is lean but not bad at all. For the price range. er6i are a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back