Shure E2C In-Ear Headphones
Nov 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rabyburns

New Head-Fier
just got a set there, i know they are a old model! But whats the best way of using them? I put the orange pads on them and they seem to block out a lot of sound from the outside.

i've been told they are meant to have good sound quality?

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 12
Blocking a lot of sound is right, so at least you got a good seal!

Well, E2C are the lowest model from the old Shure line-up. So don't expect magic sound out of those. I've tried them once (friend's) and they sounded quite dry and lifeless to me; I liked my UM2 way better. But as long as you enjoy them, that's all that matters.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 12
is there any difference between the buds? Applying the sticker things for wax is a pain. i don't think there is a lot of base in them to be honest..

I still need another set like my PX100's (THE WIRE BROKE YESTERDAY & NOW I ONLY HAVE SOUND IN 1 SIDE)

i might get the portapro

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 12
I had custom molds made for the E2Cs, and that has worked out really well.

A lot of people like the after market tips made by a company with a name something like comply. I have a set of those I bought at an airport kiosk...that I use with my Nuforce NE-7Ms.

I don't love IEMs, but they are useful for planes.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 12
thanks for all the info guys, i find the base on them not too strong. I know this means i might not have a good seal but i can't really tell. I use the small foam pads & this in your ear type are new to me.

My PX100s are dead in one ear now so i'm going to buy porta-pros i think.

HOWEVER-

Can i ask a silly question, on the earpiece you put a small sticker over the hole to stop wax and stuff getting down, well what happens if you have none left? that's why i've not tried the other pads because they keep coming off everytime i remove the pad & now i have none left

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 12
I have the e2c's, I love them. For the price, they have great and pretty decent, laid back sound and are a great introduction to IEMs. All they require is a little modification and they are much better...

I never used the wax guard. In fact, if its not your only beloved phone, you can try the "kramer mod" (this is going back a few years ) by prying out the little plastic donut there with a nail or staple. Its restricting the sound.

In exchange for having to clean the tube every so often, it greatly improved the rolled-off highs and made it sound much more open, and gave a bit more soundstage and noticeably more "punchy" bass. It even tamed the sibilance a tad.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/e2c...arning-131100/

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the e2c's, I love them. For the price, they have great and pretty decent, laid back sound and are a great introduction to IEMs. All they require is a little modification and they are much better...

I never used the wax guard.

Me too. They were my first quality IEM and I used them happily for a couple of years until the sickness came upon me. OP, try using the medium size foams and they may seal better and give you more bass. Scrunch up the foams between your fingers before you insert them, and let them expand in you ear canal while holding them in there for about 10 seconds.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabyburns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the info guys, i find the base on them not too strong. I know this means i might not have a good seal but i can't really tell. I use the small foam pads & this in your ear type are new to me.

It may not be the seal. The E2C is not noted for its bass. My first reaction when I upgraded from them was kind of like "Ah, so that's what was missing".

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 12
I loved my E2Cs and they were my entry into decent IEMs. Just use the tip that seals and sounds best to you.

When I first tried them, the seal was so tight coming from my Sony EX71s that my ears kept forcing them out and breaking the seal. Once I got used to them and stopped "fighting" them, I got a much better seal and could hear the bass but it was never a bassy IEM.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 12
I found the rubber tips work best, or give a bit more bass so maybe its a better seal? I've ran out of those stickers thought that go on the end, is that a big deal or do you not really need them? I'm also interested i modding them too

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never used the wax guard. In fact, if its not your only beloved phone, you can try the "kramer mod" (this is going back a few years ) by prying out the little plastic donut there with a nail or staple. Its restricting the sound.

In exchange for having to clean the tube every so often, it greatly improved the rolled-off highs and made it sound much more open, and gave a bit more soundstage and noticeably more "punchy" bass. It even tamed the sibilance a tad.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/e2c...arning-131100/

oops, never saw your reply the first time. Thanks for that, i'm gonna try and take that bit out tonight that your talking about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back