Shure E2C case vs Ety ER6 case
Dec 15, 2003 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

penguinboy

New Head-Fier
I've posted before that I bought both the Etys and the Shures from Headroom and as my 30 day trial is about up, I've decided to keep the Etys. The comfort factor was the number one criteria for me. The Shures sounded A LITTLE better...just a bit, but I'd never wear them for more than an hour or so. The Etys won for me on the comfort factor. Everyone's ears are different though, so make up your own mind after trying both.

One thing I do suggest after trying both sets- if you have or keep the Ety's go onto the Shure website and buy the carrying case for the E2C with the cord wrap built in. It's 100 times better than the case that comes with the Etys! Riding the train into Boston every day, sometimes the time slips away and next thing you know you're at your stop. Quickly stuffing the Ety's back into their case, a tangled mess of twisted cable, was an effort. The Shures simply wrapped around the cone built into the case, easy, tangle free, and much easier to use the next time as you didn't have to spend 3-4 minutes untangling a twisted cordset. The Shure case is $15, but if you've invested $100-$130 in the Ety's, it's a great investment. -Dan
280smile.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Thank you penguinboy. I just received my Ety's yesterday, (so far very happy. will most likely be happier with a little burn-in) and realized right away that a new case would be necessary. You aswered the call.

Dec 18, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 7
penguinboy, great suggestion! I've owned the ER-4S and ER-6 for quite a while now and always felt that Etymotic Research could improve on the included carry cases. There's just one small problem - my wallet now hates you! Sure it was only $15 + 7 (for two-day UPS), but still an unseen expense during a precarious time.. *grumble* and humbug to buying gifts for people other than myself
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7
When you say, "older Ety's" I assume you are not referring to the ER-6s. Although to the best of my knowledge, the ER-6 does not have the braided cord. Am I wrong?

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Sorry, should have been more explicit. I meant "older ER-4's."

I haven't seen ER-6's, but from the photos it looks like they have skinny cords and shouldn't present a problem. Only guesstimating, though.

(And ER-4's have the added issue of the resistor network partway down the cord...the ER-6 doesn't have that, does it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back