Shure e2c and e3c questions
Feb 13, 2005 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

StrikerTek

New Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of searching over at ipodlounge and here at headfi about the Shure e2c and e3c headphones, and I have a few questions about them. I'm trying to decide which one to buy, and am leaning towards the e2c's right now.

1. How well do the Shure e2c and e3c's handle 128kbps AAC compression? My music collection on iTunes is almost entirely in this format, and I would like to not have to reencode everything that I've ripped from cd's. From what I understand, increasing the bit rate kills the battery life on the iPod. At only around 10 hours, it's already low enough at 128kbps AAC, and I don't want to make it any less. I've also purchased a bunch of songs off of iTunes, and I don't think there's anyway to increase the bit rate for these songs. From what I've read, the e2c's will handle compression fairly well, but the e3c's will make you notice all the imperfections at 128kbps AAC. But are even the e2c's too nice for this compression? Should I be looking at a cheaper set like the Sony MDR-EX51LP's if I'm listening to music at 128kbps AAC?

2. How much are the ultra soft flex sleeves for the e2c's going to cost seperately? Should I wait to buy them until they pack them in with them? Are the foam sleeves and flex sleeves that come with the e2c's comfortable enough?

3. Where should I buy the headphones so that I can return them if I don't like them? Should I buy them at a retail store or Microphone Solutions for more money but have the guarantee of being able to return them? Or should I buy them at buy.com or Comp-U-Plus for a good amount less but without the guarantee of being able to return them? Or are buy.com and Comp-U-Plus "authorized Shure dealers" like Microphone Solutions?

The main reason I'm leaning towards the e2c's right now is price. I simply don't have $120-$150 to drop on a pair of headphones. As nice as the e3c's look, They're pretty much out of my price range right now. Even $60-$70 for the e2c's is pushing it. But if anyone has a way of getting the e3c's for cheaper, I'd like to know.
I can't find them for any cheaper than $120 on Comp-U-Plus.

Thanks for all the help. This is my first post on headfi after lurking for a week. I love the site.

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikerTek
1. How well do the Shure e2c and e3c's handle 128kbps AAC compression? My music collection on iTunes is almost entirely in this format, and I would like to not have to reencode everything that I've ripped from cd's. From what I understand, increasing the bit rate kills the battery life on the iPod. At only around 10 hours, it's already low enough at 128kbps AAC, and I don't want to make it any less. I've also purchased a bunch of songs off of iTunes, and I don't think there's anyway to increase the bit rate for these songs. From what I've read, the e2c's will handle compression fairly well, but the e3c's will make you notice all the imperfections at 128kbps AAC. But are even the e2c's too nice for this compression? Should I be looking at a cheaper set like the Sony MDR-EX51LP's if I'm listening to music at 128kbps AAC?

The Shure E2C and E3C should both do fine with 128Kbps AAC compression in the sense that the music will not be unlistenable. However, in my experience, you will find yourself pushing more and more toward higher standards as you begin to notice the difference. In my humble opinion, mid/high-end canalphones benefit greatly from a quality source. Given your comments regarding limited funds, if you do not have any plans to build a better library, I would certainly reconsider such an investment.

Quote:

2. How much are the ultra soft flex sleeves for the e2c's going to cost seperately? Should I wait to buy them until they pack them in with them? Are the foam sleeves and flex sleeves that come with the e2c's comfortable enough?

I do not know how much the black flex sleeves will cost, nor do I have any experience with them, so I cannot comment. If I remember correctly, Shure will send you a trial pair if you contact them.

From my humble experience, the clear flex sleeves were unbearable. The foamies were superior both in comfort and sound quality.

Quote:

3. Where should I buy the headphones so that I can return them if I don't like them? Should I buy them at a retail store or Microphone Solutions for more money but have the guarantee of being able to return them? Or should I buy them at buy.com or Comp-U-Plus for a good amount less but without the guarantee of being able to return them? Or are buy.com and Comp-U-Plus "authorized Shure dealers" like Microphone Solutions?

I don't have any experience with Buy.com or Comp-U-Plus so I cannot comment. Microphone Solutions, I have had plenty of experience with, and would recommend without hesitation. Your best bet is to call each directly and obtain a statement regarding return policies.

Quote:

The main reason I'm leaning towards the e2c's right now is price. I simply don't have $120-$150 to drop on a pair of headphones. As nice as the e3c's look, They're pretty much out of my price range right now. Even $60-$70 for the e2c's is pushing it. But if anyone has a way of getting the e3c's for cheaper, I'd like to know.
I can't find them for any cheaper than $120 on Comp-U-Plus.

I doubt you will find the E3Cs for anything lower than $110 at best, and this is "used".

Quote:

Thanks for all the help. This is my first post on headfi after lurking for a week. I love the site.

Hope this helped!

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks a lot blue onion, that answered all of my questions.

I think I'm going to go with the e2c's and get in on this group order for the new ultra soft flex tips.
biggrin.gif

And I might convert my library to 192kbps AAC if I begin to notice poor audio quality with these new phones. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

I think I'm going to go with the e2c's and get in on this group order for the new ultra soft flex tips.
biggrin.gif

And I might convert my library to 192kbps AAC if I begin to notice poor audio quality with these new phones. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I think you know this, but just to make sure: do not transcode any songs lossy->lossy. Once something's in a lossy format (mp3, aac, etc), it's there for good. Only way to get higher bitrate songs is to rerip them from cd or download them that way. This is annoying for me since most of my music is 128kbps mp3, and now that I've upgraded I can notice the songs don't sound quite as good
frown.gif
. I've spent the past few days ripping cds (also because i expect to keep upgrading, and want to pad for the future)...not fun.

I think the e2c's are a good choice. They are a worthy upgrade from the sonys, but at a much cheaper price than ety's or the e3c's. Although i hated mine at first, after the phones and my mind burned in, I really like them. Getting them from a place that you can return them to is the best idea, but even if you can't, you can sell them on here; plenty of people will be interested, and you won't take too big a hit on the price. Good luck.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Sure, no problem at all, glad I could help =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back