[Shure E2C] About the foam sleeves...
Feb 8, 2005 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sebb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I tested the 3 foam sizes of the E2C's (provided that, to me, the silicon ones are less comfy, less inserted (so weaker sound), and have a tendency not to remain where they should).

All 3 fit well, and all 3 provide a similar level of isolation, which was unexpected to me. The reason could be that with the small foams, the earphones penetrate my ears about 1.5 - 2 millimeters MORE compared to the large ones (I measured that). The lower density of the sound barrier with the small foams would then be compensated by their deeper penetration. I did not notice any significant difference in sound, although there should be some. A nice side effect of the use of the small foams is the stronger fit of the earphones.

How is it with you ? Did you make similar observation ? I ask because I don't want to make a bad choice when I'll order some spare foams. Thanks !

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 12
Hold off on Foam sleeves, order some Soft Flex sleeves when they come out in a week.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 12
I sent him a pair I had on Friday. For me, only the small foams fit well, so that's what I use. If I were you, I'd just use the foams that fit the deepest and most securely in my ear.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLaZeR
Hold off on Foam sleeves, order some Soft Flex sleeves when they come out in a week.

Sure ! I should have a pair for testing purpose in my mailbox by the end of this week, so I'll wait before ordering some foams.

Still, one concern I have about these new ultra soft stuff is that, IIRC, their penetration is less compared to the actual ones, which I already find not to go deep enough. I've experienced that the sound is less powerfull with the plastic tips (compared with the foams) because the latter go deeper in the ear. Could it be that the new tips result in even more lowe sonic power ?

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I sent him a pair I had on Friday.

And I thank you for that
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
For me, only the small foams fit well, so that's what I use. If I were you, I'd just use the foams that fit the deepest and most securely in my ear.

After posting this thread, I looked for the average ear dimensions. I found that the average ear channel is ca. 25-35 mm long, and 6-8 mm wide (note: the inner plastic tubing of the foams is 6 mm wide !!). This means that, in the case of "standard" ears:
1/ There is no risk in pushing the E2C deep into the ear.
rolleyes.gif

2/ Even the small foams, with a diameter of 11 mm, are sufficiently large to account for a tight fit if inserted deeply.
3/ There is no way to deeply insert the large foams.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Hi,

Some more tests yesterday. Now I can tell that the deeper insertion of the earphones with the small foams indeed results in better sound, especially in the low frequencies. I still can't tell if it provides better isolation.

An interesting thing is that the altered shape of the foams after listening for a time provides info about the shape of my ear channel. It seems my ear channel is not straight, but shows an small angle together with a narrowing situated at about the middle of the foam tip. This angle+narrowing could be a reason why the plastic tips do not fit, as they could not be able to go beyond that point.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebb
Hi,

Some more tests yesterday. Now I can tell that the deeper insertion of the earphones with the small foams indeed results in better sound, especially in the low frequencies. I still can't tell if it provides better isolation.

An interesting thing is that the altered shape of the foams after listening for a time provides info about the shape of my ear channel. It seems my ear channel is not straight, but shows an small angle together with a narrowing situated at about the middle of the foam tip. This angle+narrowing could be a reason why the plastic tips do not fit, as they could not be able to go beyond that point.

ear canals tend to be hourglass shaped, so your experience is totally normal. i find the clear silicon shure sleeves to be absolute torture.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Honestly, I think the silicone tips offer better bass and much much better isolation. I do enjoy wearing the small foamies and do enjoy their sound, but when I want bass, i go with medium silicone. I'm going to be getting the ultrasoft flex tips, so hopefully they'll be a compromise of the two.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by prona
Honestly, I think the silicone tips offer better bass and much much better isolation. I do enjoy wearing the small foamies and do enjoy their sound, but when I want bass, i go with medium silicone. I'm going to be getting the ultrasoft flex tips, so hopefully they'll be a compromise of the two.

In my ears it's clearly the opposite, and I suspect it's all a matter of penetration depth...

About the super soft sleeves, read my last post in the topic about them (wrote it 5 minutes ago). But I'm afraid our ears definitely are differently shaped
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
ear canals tend to be hourglass shaped, so your experience is totally normal. i find the clear silicon shure sleeves to be absolute torture.

yes the clear silicon sleeves are indeed torture, i hope the ultra softs, are a lot more comfortable.

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0torious
yes the clear silicon sleeves are indeed torture, i hope the ultra softs, are a lot more comfortable.

They definitely are ! As I said in another thread:

- They indeed are more comfy than the plastic ones. Much more. I think everybody will agree on that point.
- Still, the violating sensation of a solid body is there, as well as the pressure difference sensation when putting them on. IMHO it is still far away from the foam sensation.
- They are quite fragile. Take care when you remove them from the earphones.
- In my ears, they go deeper than the plastic tips. Maybe as deep as with the foams. So better sound and stronger bass. The top of the sound tube also is more exposed compared to the plastic tips, which can also result in deeper penetration.
- I couldn't notice any significant isolation difference.

My conclusion: Best option for short term or "on&off" use, the foams are still better for longer listening periods.

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Medium and Small fomies extend >75% into the inner portion of my hourglass, for a tremendously comfy fit. I was given a pair of the new black tips in medium(thanks Kevin!), but i believe they are too big, as they do irritate my ears a little bit like the silicone ones do. They do insert as far as the foam ones for me, but they provide less isolation. When music is paused i can actually have a conversation without having to take them out.

I believe my right ear to be smaller than my left, as it actually hurts after a while of the new tips, while my left is just midly uncomfortable. Also, the right ear i can't seem to get the pressure to equalize when i put it in, and i cant hear properly half the time without much trouble in getting it reseated in my ear canal.

They are extremely practical, easy to put in and out, and dont get dirty like the foamies!!!

I would like to try the small tips, if anyone would want to trade for a pair of mediums that i'd sanatize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back