Shure E2 VS Etymotic 4
Sep 25, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 18
In my opinion, this is a clear example of "you get what you pay for." The E2c are pretty good, but the ER-4 (S and P) are *much* better.

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 18
I hear that Mac. I just want to know that I will really be able to tell the difference. The shure's aren't so old that I really have to replace them. But after surfing through these boards, I really want to.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 18
hey i know what u mean
tongue.gif
everytime i go through a thread that is talking about how awesome something sounds, how amazing these headphones turned out to be....I always want to replace headphones with headphones that ive heard about but i just know that it would start a viscious cirlcle!!
eek.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 18
The Shure's are almost new so I would just sell them I hope. I haven't cracked yet, but it is only a matter of time.
smily_headphones1.gif
Then I will use them and the Grados. No more. Really, I mean it.

Sep 25, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 18
ha ha ya im about to crack!
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Spaghetti
I hear that Mac. I just want to know that I will really be able to tell the difference. The shure's aren't so old that I really have to replace them. But after surfing through these boards, I really want to.
biggrin.gif

In other words Mac is saying if you want to, and they are better, what are you waiting for man, go and replace them......period

Sep 25, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
In my opinion, this is a clear example of "you get what you pay for." The E2c are pretty good, but the ER-4 (S and P) are *much* better.

IIRC there was a member that prefer the B version to the P and S, was you MacDEF? I don't remember now who was?

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 18
I have never listened to Shure...
But etymotic 4P just blew me away with the quality of sound...
Compared to it, all others I have listented to so far are like comparing a laser vs. general incandescent light.
I can finally understand lyrics of almost all songs on radio!

Sep 25, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
IIRC there was a member that prefer the B version to the P and S, was you MacDEF? I don't remember now who was?

It was Vertigo
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 18
The E2's and ER-4's aren't in the same class.... Shure doesn't have anything in that class really... E5 is supposed to be higher, E2 is much lower.

E2 and ER-6 might be a more valid comparison, but I don't know..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 18
in my own experience (each > = greater than) -

e2 >> er6

e2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ex71

e2 > e1 (controversial- as the rest, imo)

the er4p/s costs ~3.5x as much as the shures. are they 3.5x as good? it's impossible to tell; there is no way you can quantify sound quality. so dont use your head, use your instincts i say. if you *feel* like shelling out ~$150 more for the er4p/s, by all means do it. if you somehow feel unsatisfied with the shure, then go for the ety. if you have a listen and find you prefer what you hear enough to shell out $249 then do so.

just dont stick with something you dont like - i believe that one's mood can change one's perception of music more than anything else.

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
in my own experience (each > = greater than) -

e2 >> er6

I've had the ER-4S, and currently own the ER-4P, ER-6 and E2c. Right now I actually prefer the ER-6 to the E2c, both in sound and comfort. But they're fairly close, with each emphasizing different parts of the spectrum, so I can see different people preferring either.

Quote:

the er4p/s costs ~3.5x as much as the shures. are they 3.5x as good?

Well, to be fair, the street price on the E2c (recent sale at Shure notwithstanding) is around $99, and the Etys go for around $260, so it's really only around 2.5x
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

But they're fairly close, with each emphasizing different parts of the spectrum, so I can see different people preferring either.

true. i would say that the e2c overall has a warmer and more 'rounded' sound. no sudden jumps in response all through the 20-20k range imo. though imo there IS a slight dip in the high mids. the er6 is imo a much more bright in-ear.

Quote:

Well, to be fair, the street price on the E2c (recent sale at Shure notwithstanding) is around $99, and the Etys go for around $260, so it's really only around 2.5x
wink.gif

i was actaully going on a $79 price for the e2, which is what i paid.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back