Shure E1
Sep 9, 2006 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sidewinder

500+ Head-Fier
I bought this one for $30, second hand. Sound quality for this price is truly great, but I wouldn't have gone much higher. Nothing in the frequency range is overpronounced, and that's what makes me glad. Ety ER4 was too bright, UM2 was too thick sounding, and the E2C was a bit muffled. Now I get punchy bass, clear mids and crisp highs.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 13
By Jove!!! At $30!? o_O
I really envy ya man!

Enjoy them rare stuffs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 13
it a real steal... that is great...

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 13
I think a second hand IEM wouldn't be for everybody (gross!), but for $30 and if you're happy, then go you!

The e1 looks monster uncomfortable though.... blocky sides and what not. Is it?

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
I think a second hand IEM wouldn't be for everybody (gross!), but for $30 and if you're happy, then go you!

The e1 looks monster uncomfortable though.... blocky sides and what not. Is it?

The foamies and sleeves are new, so I don't get your point. The IEM itself is very comfortable cause it takes few space unlike the UM2 or E2C, and it doesn't get pressed against my ear. Isolation is on par with the UM2.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
The foamies and sleeves are new, so I don't get your point. The IEM itself is very comfortable cause it takes few space unlike the UM2 or E2C, and it doesn't get pressed against my ear. Isolation is on par with the UM2.

Okay, if the foamies and sleeves are new, then that's okay, but it's still been in someone else... maybe it's just me being picky.

If it just sits smaller then that's pretty cool comfort-wise as well. A super buy!

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Okay, if the foamies and sleeves are new, then that's okay, but it's still been in someone else... maybe it's just me being picky.

If it just sits smaller then that's pretty cool comfort-wise as well. A super buy!

Well, then you also don't buy used headphones or other used gear, cause they've been in the hands of someone else, and there's a slight risk that some disease settled and you could catch it. I call that nitpicking. Not to mention that hands/fingers contain more bacterial stuff compared to your (inner)ear.

Comfortwise, the're better compared to the UM2, ER4 and E2C. There is no contact between the plastic and my ear, which was the case with the UM2 and E2C because of their big enclosure. The ER4 was a bit irritating because of the deeper insertion. This E1 seems to give the best of both worlds.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 13
My first IEM were E1s and they gave me a great deal of pleasure. They are extremely small and, if I remember correctly, the lightest of the Shures. You got them at a great price.

I was stunned at how dramatically their sound improved when I plugged them into my Hornet instead of the headphone jack on my first generation iPod. If you have a chance try them out with a dedicated headphone amplication.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 13
I don't notice much of a difference, if any at all, when amping. Using D465 as source. Expect for the possible (imaginary) punchier sound. I can understand that when using a crap headphone out and using the line out through an amp, will improve the sound. But not in my case.

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm really impressed with the SQ of these things. Listening to the OST of Pirates of the Caribbean is so engaging. I didn't have this experience using other IEM's like the UM2 or ER4. It was like I was there in the movie theatre.

Westone seems to be seling this one now, with the new UM1 as the follow up:
Classic Shure E1 versus New Westone UM1

Other than that, I haven't heard the new Westone UM1, and it's said to be inferior to the UM2. And the latter didn't impress me really. Bloated or too much bass, recessed mids but sparkly highs.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I haven't seen the E1 mentioned for a looong time. Enjoy.

I can't find a thing through search. It just picks up 'Shure', but 'E1' is too short.

I've seen this IEM a few times as actual monitor on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back