shure e1 cord durability
Aug 15, 2003 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matheis

100+ Head-Fier
hello all!!!

thinking of getting some shure e1 canalphones for portable use and am wondering about long-term durability of the cord. to be honest, the twisted cord makes me nervous. it looks like it might get caught on something and yanked the wrong way. please let me any pros/cons about the twisted cord you've experienced so far.

thanks!
nikolaus

Aug 15, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 6
i dont own the e1s, but i remember reading in a post by don wilson (of etymotic research) that a twisted cord eliminates microphonics.

Aug 15, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
adhoc: good to know, good to know... still, i work in a greenhouse doing plant research and my headphone cords do tend to get caught on plants, tables, pots, etc, so i'm more wondering if i need to worry about the cord getting caught up and if it will stand up to getting caught up. or if i need to take extra precautions if i do get them, like running the cord under my shirt.

thanks!
nikolaus

Aug 15, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 6
To be safe, you should just run them under your shirt. I don't know much about the durability of the E1, but it doesn't LOOK as durable as the E2. Looks can be deceiving.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I've had that style of cord and it's quite durable, IMO more so than the Shure E2. As long as the earphone cord has proper strain relief where it leaves the headphone you'll be ok.

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Even though the E1C cord doesnt look very durable, it is.

Looks can be deceiving.

As an example, The Shure E2c has the thickest cord Ive seen on an earbud type set to date.

Yet, there have been reported problems with this style cord.

I havent had any problems with any of my shure products to date and I sorta abuse my E1s as well.

(Caught wire in car door, desk corner, on pc case, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back