Shure Cable Problem! (w/Picture)
Apr 28, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #31 of 47
the shure cable problem is what led me to get the ue sf5p.

being in australia means that i will have next to zero warranty chances. the ue replaceable cable will be my warranty.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the shure cable problem is what led me to get the ue sf5p.

being in australia means that i will have next to zero warranty chances. the ue replaceable cable will be my warranty.

If you have a cable problem with the e500/se530 shure replaces them whether or not they are under warranty.

May 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a cable problem with the e500/se530 shure replaces them whether or not they are under warranty.

Really?? Even after warranty? I'm on the verge of getting a pair of SE530 at a very good price (the only tempting me to buy it is the price
tongue.gif
) The cable issues is quite scary to me. Would the SE420 have fewer cable problems or are they relatively on the same level?

May 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iStupid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?? Even after warranty? I'm on the verge of getting a pair of SE530 at a very good price (the only tempting me to buy it is the price
tongue.gif
) The cable issues is quite scary to me. Would the SE420 have fewer cable problems or are they relatively on the same level?

There were some head-fi threads about this specific issue of after-warranty coverage for cracked cable housing. If you live in the US and send them back to Chicago, they're very good about replacements. I've had to do this 4 or 5 times, but the last pair shows no hardening of the Cable housing after a month and a half or so.

May 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #35 of 47
I bought my pair of E500s in 2006, and had the same issue with the cables cracking twice already. I recently sent out my 2nd pair and Shure is sending me the E530s this time. My warranty ends this year in October. So I'm glad that I'm getting the newer model. At the same time I have another pair of UE super fis for about 4 years now and they are in good shape. I really take care of my things, specially if they cost me an eye and a half.
Definitely Shure has an issue with this cables, but hopefully their newer cables are made better. One thing I give Shure though, is that they have the best Customer service ever!! I just sent mines out for repair and quickly in about a week, I'm getting my replacements. One question I got........Do the Black olives come with the E530s?? Just wondering? cause they didn't come with e500s!.....Thanks.

May 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #36 of 47
Just received my S530 back from Shure. They definitely did something with the cable issue!! The cable is different, it's made of a softer bendable material. I think the problem with the older models was that the plastic was to stiff and when you would bend it over your ears+oils from your skin would start to crack.
I'm glad they fixed it though! I also received the black olives with it!! They are really good. I get a better concealment with them.

May 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 47
wow thanks for the update. I have heard of the se530 cables getting a rework, but this is the first I have read about actual differences between the two cables. The olives are fantastic, and I am glad you got the upgrade!

May 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #38 of 47
is there any1 that have tried to do a cable mod/replacment on these ones? (or is it impossible.) mine just cracked, and I think the 2 year warranty is over..

May 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you believe it! i cant make my phone take images below 30kb and ofcourse it takes jpeg images and head fi wont let me attach images above 19.5kb, that is strange, if anybody has a quick way around this please tell me so i can upload images to head fi which i have been unable to do for some time.

Upload the pic(s) to a web image host, and use the tags to post them here. Don't know what image host's Head-Fi approves, but some examples of an image host could be:
- imageshack.us
- photobucket.com (which I use)

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you guys do with your hundreds of dollars headphones??? the OP's shures look like they have taken years of punishment, notice how the black grip looks scratched and worn and...trashed in all honesty, these are $500/£330 earphones and some guys on here dont seem to understand that they are still very small and fragile and need to be kept clean and in their case when not in use.

These are my se530 after about 9-10 months constant use now and i know for a fact i have an older cable (the so called split prone edition) and the very worst i have witnessed so far is a very slight kink in the cable where i tried to straighten the cable up after about 2 months and created a kink. To my suprise this kink has not come to a point where its split or damaged at all.

can you believe it! i cant make my phone take images below 30kb and ofcourse it takes jpeg images and head fi wont let me attach images above 19.5kb, that is strange, if anybody has a quick way around this please tell me so i can upload images to head fi which i have been unable to do for some time. cheers

anyway take it from me for now that mine are in as new condition and it baffles me how bad some guys must treat thier phones to get them looking like the cat has been at them
tongue.gif
seems to me that more care must be taken for most people

excuse the poor quality pic. n95 overexposes.

but these are in superb condition after like i say about 9 months so if yours look like that after a month i pity how you take care of your more expensive luxuries

My last pair of E500's were kept extremely well (so was the first pair for that matter) cables cleaned, always in case when not in use and at around the 10 month mark (I wear these approx 9-10hrs a day) both cables had developed small cracks which rapidly broke down from that point. I had E3C's prior to the E500's that lasted well over a year with heavy use and no cleaning and the cables remained soft with no cracking.

for the poster of this thread, my cables started out nice and soft thought things were good but alas cables stiffened up and crack crack crack. I hope the SE530's I just received as a replacement hold up, I've already seen a post or two of cracking on these..
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 47
Well...I just had my SHURE SE310 cables crack on me...I live right near the Niles, IL facility, so I dropped them off in person on July 3 and I had them at my front door on July 7. I just turned in the short piece and I took my olives off....just giving them the bare minimum. I was pretty surprised to see that they gave me a whole new package including a new case, externder, and more olives!....I was pretty pissed when this happened...I have had them for about 1 year with very minimal use. Used once a week for a few hours and I always kept them in the case.....but the SHURE warranty has me very pleased

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thanks for the update. I have heard of the se530 cables getting a rework, but this is the first I have read about actual differences between the two cables. The olives are fantastic, and I am glad you got the upgrade!

If you just put a bit more effort in to it, and just beg them a bit. Shure will most likely allow you
biggrin.gif
. They have awesome customer service though, so most likely, just cross your fingers and most likely they'll help you.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #44 of 47
Not sure if I want to say this and possibly jinx myself, but my second replacement set has been good.. outlasting my other two considerably..

second set are 530's..

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #45 of 47
Supposedly after using them you are supposed to clean the wire that sits on top and goes around your ears. It gets off all the oil etc and will help to keep the cable in good condition. Other than that, I don't know of any other solution than sending them in to Shure for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back