Shure Cable Problem! (w/Picture)
Apr 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 47
Well, I certainly retract my statement that they looked rough. The first pic did, 2nd did not.

I just now ordered the SE530s (yea, even after seeing the pic and reading the posts). When I talked to the vendor he stated that he has only had two cable issues out of maybe 100 units sold. 2% defect rate does not seem that bad to me. I did not check on other earphones, but I would think most manufacturers would find a 2% defect rate an acceptable level, even though quality control wishes for 0%. Not defending Shure and not justifying my purchase.

But I'm like you ch28kid. If I have consistant problems with a manufacturer I just don't do business with them any more. You won't find a GM product in my garage or driveway because of persistant problems with them through several vehicles.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 47
I kinda understand why you would think I treat my Shure in a rough way. I think its because of my screen name "ch28kid" that people automatically think I am some 13 year old with some expensive headphones.

I am actually 22 years old with lots of gadgets. I treat every since piece of gadgets with care. I'm sure everyone on this forum does too. I use ch28kid as my screen name b/c I've been using it since grade 8.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the cable problem, it did split but I have no idea why. The weird thing is the left monitor still works perfectly but the right monitor got lose connection even more.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I certainly retract my statement that they looked rough. The first pic did, 2nd did not.

I just now ordered the SE530s (yea, even after seeing the pic and reading the posts). When I talked to the vendor he stated that he has only had two cable issues out of maybe 100 units sold. 2% defect rate does not seem that bad to me. I did not check on other earphones, but I would think most manufacturers would find a 2% defect rate an acceptable level, even though quality control wishes for 0%. Not defending Shure and not justifying my purchase.

But I'm like you ch28kid. If I have consistant problems with a manufacturer I just don't do business with them any more. You won't find a GM product in my garage or driveway because of persistant problems with them through several vehicles.

2% seems awfully high to me. Maybe I've been to too many six-sigma meetings. I've not upgraded through the shure line because of my experiences with their cable problems (two cables just like OP's in 11 months or so).

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 47
Actually, the little rubber piece on the headphone housing is the strain relief. I know, because I thought the same thing... that there was very little strain relief. But that rubber piece separated from the plastic housing on one of mine, to where it would slide away from from the housing, and down the wire. The wire & insulation goes completely through that rubber piece, and attaches to a smaller little molded strain relief into the plastic housing. There's no exposed wire into and through the black rubber piece and all the way through to the plastic housing. So it had to have had another problem for what's shown in the photo.

Edit: And FYI... sent mine back to Shure, and they replaced them within a couple of weeks with new ones.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure how you can defend shure like this so whole heartedly, when there have been so many reports of cable cracking issues in the e500/se530 line. You have to think, even though it is frowned upon to tug at earpieces, it just happens- everybody does it, and I don't think shure e500/se530 owners make is a point to tug at their earpieces more than owners of other IEMS. So why then, does this model and the SE line have this cable issue in excess compared to other manufacturers?

Obviously Shure's cables are NOT the best built out there...there are pages and pages and large number of members here with the same issue. And I don't think that actual brute force is the only means of separating the cable from the rubber sleeving as in the OPs first post. This would definitely happen over time, and depends on the oils from your skin, as well as depends on how snuggly you pull the cable over your ears. It is just wear and tear - and in this case, the e500/se530 line cannot hold fast to the wear and tear as some other IEMS can.

you must remember the e500 is a very popular set of phones, and although a fair amount have had problems, even on head fi the percentage isnt huge by any means and its owned by many on here. also its worth pointing out shure knows the issue was there and they have dealt with it to be fair. im not sure what percentage of updated cables have broke but if its as big a percentage as old problems then yes shure have a big problem cable wise.

worth pointing out is mine are the older cables and yes they get greasy. one thing i do is straighten out the cable now and then, but NEVER bend it the oposite way to which it goes round the ear, only ever get it straight. that along with a quick wipe down after each use and mine have no problems after about 10 months now.

i only defend shures rep because mine have not broke yet
biggrin.gif
so i have every reason to stand up and be counted saying...yep mine are still good.

i see what your saying about earphones generally take a beating but when you own real expensive phones you just treat them differently, as to make sure they are kept in good order. i do anyway

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 47
i've sold alot of pairs of se530s and e500s never had one return or problem. the people that i kno that owned them before me never had a problem. i've owned mine for about 3 months now and never had a problem.

it says to never yank the cable and shure tells you the proper way to remove them. it also may come from how they are worn and how tightly you have the cable.

i oly had one cable problem and it was my fault. i bent the 3.5 plug trying to force them into a lil radio next to my bed while i was half sleep. but i just swapped out a new extension at work.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
been using SE530 on a daily basis for about a year now, and I don't have a cable problem at all, so far.

one of the things that effects shures cables is your body oils. Your body oils probably don't effect them, unlike me and a bunch of others here. 3-6 months of use and they start to crack on cable part that goes up and over your ears.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 47
I take extra care of my SE530's but after reading this, I'm gonna EXTRA careful with them...
I like putting them over my ears.. they fit better but that also curves the wire, I wonder if they'll last longer if I don't use the over ear method.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #25 of 47
I just got my replacement last week. I wasn't expecting a brand new box. I thought they would send me the headphone itself. I was wrong....

This time I got SE530 manufacture in March 27 2008 instead of E500 which was manufacture in March 16 2007. I got the new black olives which expand really fast. Its the one with the white rings around them.

The E500 version have lots of problem with the new iPhone extension cable. The new SE530 works perfectly with the new extension cable.

SF Marketing is fast! I got it within 2 weeks.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #28 of 47
Oops sorry my bad. I mean clear ring around it. Not white, MY BAD.

The one on the left is new, the one on the right is the old Olives. The old one is softer.

I don't know if you could see the little ring on the left.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you guys do with your hundreds of dollars headphones??? the OP's shures look like they have taken years of punishment, notice how the black grip looks scratched and worn and...trashed in all honesty, these are $500/£330 earphones and some guys on here dont seem to understand that they are still very small and fragile and need to be kept clean and in their case when not in use.

QFT.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #30 of 47
I had my first pair for well over a year with no problems of any kind. After I sold them I truly missed them and have had my new pair for only a month. I have never pulled them out by the cable, and I have never tightened that cincher thingy at all. Seems like if that cincher was too tight towards the chin it would put alot of strain on the cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back