Shure Cable mod information
Jul 27, 2007 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eeksll

New Head-Fier
Hello all, first post here
smily_headphones1.gif

I own the shure e2c and the cable is breaking/cracking like others on this forum.

I purchased them off ebay 12 months ado and am not hopeful of getting warranty. I have sent off some emails and I shall wait and see what happens there. (Also no plug as wire broke near the end so I chopped it and soldered on another).

I am thinking of doing a cable replace. I think I can pry apart the headphones and replace the whole cable ... The information I am looking for is:

1) does the bit in the middle of the cable where the wire splits into 2 seperate headphones do anything in particular that others do not? ie I was thinking of just getting the ultimate ears replacement cable and using that from plug to headphones.

2) I was thinking something along the lines of detachable (like ultimate ears) but I am thinking that might be overkill and also I am not sure I can get the small plug for the earphones .... anyone know if i can.

3) any suggestions of which cable to use? a strong cable that is not stiff would be ideal.

I'll post pics if I can get access to a digital camera.

regards

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 5
Maybe you should ask shure first. They might fix it for you anyway. If you read around the board lots of people say they have great service.

I suspect that the reason they say it has to be from an authorised dealer is to avoid problems with fake replicas.

Good luck!

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 5
I have emailed them ... and I am waiting a reply ... but I am not hopeful and just wanted to get started on searching for the necessary parts. Chances are I wont attempt it until I have newer headphones.

I did get a reply from shure asia and they said it is my responsibility to keep the proof of purchase ... but did not say either yes or no. So I have emailed them back asking if it is definietley no. Because I have done the Kramer mod and replaced the plug ...

The thing I would like to know is, the big fat y connector that joins the earphone wires to the main wire, does anyone know if that is just a standard split ... ie no fancy circuits in there ... I am not a sound engineer ...

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 5
well I got emails back from both the asia distributor and the Australia distributor.

The asia said, no receipt no warranty.
Quote:

... In your case however, we have no way to verify the warranty status of your earphone. As per our guidelines, we will than offer after warranty repair as an alternative solution to your problem.

The Australia distributor said ...
Quote:

Unfortunately without either the proof of purchase or the date code, I am
unable to repair or replace them under warranty. Once the cable is cut in
anyway then we are unable to repair them and they would have had to be
replaced.
Unfortunately now that the plug is cut off, there is nothing more we can do.

interesting the Asia office offered repair but the Australian did not.

Anyway I have opened them up and replaced the cable with a thinner one ... much much more easier to deal with. I was worried that I'd damage the earphone when soldering the wire to the speaker, but it appears there is no damage to it ....

I dont have a camera ... but if I get hold of one Ill take a few photos. To close them back up, I used heat shrink tubing, i did not want to use the more permanent option of super glue, since the cable I replaced it with is so thin I am worried it will break again.

So I reckon I'll use these at the gym and think about my next set of headphones ... ultimate ears 5 pro maybe
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back