Shure build quality
Jul 27, 2007 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like anywhere from 50% to up to 75% of people who have purchased Shure earphones have had to return them at some point within the warranty period. I applaud their customer service, as I have returned e2 and e3 earphones in the past, but don't you think they'd be better off actually making a product that won't get busted under normal wear and tear in ~1 year? It doesn't seem to make sense to me that every new product that they roll out still has problems (or do they? how are the 210, 310, and 420s faring?)

that said, i'm on 9 months with my e500s and they show no signs of slowing down....knock on wood.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 13
theres been some cabling issues with the e500 and 530´s,

but other then that, most of them are OK and the warranty is quite decent,

in your place, 9 months and growing strong, i would shut up and enjoy my canalphones,

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres been some cabling issues with the e500 and 530´s,

but other then that, most of them are OK and the warranty is quite decent,

in your place, 9 months and growing strong, i would shut up and enjoy my canalphones,

umm, wow? i don't think there is any need to be a complete prick. i've had three shure earphones and the e2 and e3s both failed on me, so i thought it was a legitimate question to ask.

"some cabling issues," yes, but also with the e2, and e3, and e4, etc....get the drift?

if you don't have anything nice to say, don't post at all in the future. kthx.

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 13
You must take proper care of your IEMs, and never sleep with them on.
You don't feel how much strain is put on the cable and the earpiece.
If you carry them in a case and don't fight with them on they should last very long even if they were made of eggshells.

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must take proper care of your IEMs, and never sleep with them on.
You don't feel how much strain is put on the cable and the earpiece.
If you carry them in a case and don't fight with them on they should last very long even if they were made of eggshells.

i have always babied my e2s, e3s, e4s, and e500s, and i have never exercised with them. i wear them while walking to and from work, and in other stationary environments like airplanes.

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 13
sorry, actually now rereading my comment, i do realize i did behave in a manner not worthy of a human being, even less of a head fi member, i apologize for my comment,

what i ment to say is in referance to the first rule of engnieering,
"if it works, DONT TOUCH IT"

shure has been making sound equipment for a few decades now, they know what they are doing, there have been reports of cable failure with some shipments of the SE500 and SE530, and i am sure that shure had addressed the issue, and if your headphone is affected by this issue, shure is a company that takes care of its clients, also take in to account that the people who bought them and have had no problem also had no reason to comment, while those who gut them and had problems with them, well, if you get a broken product, whatever the maker is, you have a right to complain, actually, you have the duty to provide as much information to other costumers and the manufacturer about the issue incase its a design flaw or a manufacturing error, but take in to account that someone who is displeased with a product will always be more vocal about it (except with mac products, not sure why),

but if its been 9 months without any problems, then i am sure the canalphones have alot of service left to give to you, i hope you enjoy them very much,

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like anywhere from 50% to up to 75% of people who have purchased Shure earphones have had to return them at some point within the warranty period. I applaud their customer service, as I have returned e2 and e3 earphones in the past, but don't you think they'd be better off actually making a product that won't get busted under normal wear and tear in ~1 year? It doesn't seem to make sense to me that every new product that they roll out still has problems (or do they? how are the 210, 310, and 420s faring?)

that said, i'm on 9 months with my e500s and they show no signs of slowing down....knock on wood.

I bolded the pivotal word in your OP. Your premise is not well founded because you don't really know the failure rate of their products.

However, it is well known they there have been some issues with the cables. Look at this thread for a long winded discussion about the issue.

Fortunately, Shure really do care about their customers and I agree with you they are to be applauded for how well they handle the issues that do crop up.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 13
hey guess what? i went to put on my earphones on my way home from work today, and the left cable is cracked 3/4 the way through.

anyway, 50-75%, whatever %, it seems like many people end up dealing with Shure's customer service at least once. This will be the 3rd time on a 3rd separate Shure earphone for me.

the customer service is great, but the hassle of mailing them back again and again is not. i'd rather have a product that lasts for years rather than mail a broken earphone back once every 9 months.

apparently, all of you like getting new ones once a year instead, and that's cool. i'm wondering if maybe i should wait for Westone 3s?

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 13
I don't want to choose any side in this discussion, but my E3's broke last summer... nine months after I purchased them.
biggrin.gif
Yet, the Shure-service was impeccable indeed.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 13
e3c is garbage, I had to replace mine twice in a year.

The e4/e4c on the other hand is very sturdy. My pair had been used for about 18 months by the previous owner with another 5-6 months of usage added myself. Still going strong.

And another thumbs up for Shure's customer service.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I dont know what the issue is with the cable. I beat the crap out of mine and they still show no wear. I guess I'll never get a new pair...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back