Shure Black Foamies: Which IEM's will they fit?
Mar 18, 2007 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

music065

Head-Fier
Can people who have the Shure black foamies please list which IEM's they will fit?

The new Shure black foam tips sound like a great solution - reusable foamies with more durability than the yellow ones or the Complys. I know there are probably people on here with these Shure tips and several models of IEMs. Can you please list which IEM's the black foamies will fit on?

For example, I'm wondering if I can mod them to fit on the V-Moda Vibes?

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please mod it so they will fit super.fi 10 pros!

If they are anything like regular foam earplugs, cut them in half, squeeze them and punch a hole with a larger diameter(I use 5mm for my Super.fi, plastic core is NOT needed). You'd have to remove the plastic core first though.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 16
I put them on my JVC Marshmallows and my JBL Reference 220's pretty easily once I figured out my system, even though both have fairly large soundtubes.

First I pushed them down onto a Sears Craftsman awl to stretch the entire tube. I let them sit for a few minutes and pulled them off and pushed them onto the tip of a Bic Clic pen to flare the tip a bit so it'd fit over the tip of the soundtube to get it started. Again, I let them sit for a minute or so and then I pulled them off and stuck them on the soundtubes with no troubles.

I'd post pix if someone would tell me how. I searched and tried based on what I found but it didn't work.
mad.gif
I've got the pix posted on photobucket but can't get the images to appear here. It'd be REALLY helpful if it was listed in the FAQ's or as a sticky.
mad.gif

Anyway, hope this helps.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please mod it so they will fit super.fi 10 pros!

They're the Triple.fi. Not Super.fi.

And I doubt anyone here would go through so much trouble to jepordise a pair of of those tips (which cost roughly $4 each with shipping) tp change the plastic stalks side of the foamies to fit the UE series.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are anything like regular foam earplugs, cut them in half, squeeze them and punch a hole with a larger diameter(I use 5mm for my Super.fi, plastic core is NOT needed). You'd have to remove the plastic core first though.

How does one go about punching a 5mm hole in the squished foam earplug? I tried to do this over the weekend and it was a disaster. Do you use a drill or something?

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does one go about punching a 5mm hole in the squished foam earplug? I tried to do this over the weekend and it was a disaster. Do you use a drill or something?

Here's a thread about DIY foam tips. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171940

I bought a pair of super.fi 3 to see how they fit. I couldn't get a good seal with any of the stock tips. I had success buying foam ear plugs at CVS, freezing them, and drilling the hole. Unfortunatly, the nozzles on the super.fis are just too big for my ears. They start to hurt about 1/2 hour after I put them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back