Shure Aonic 50 gen 2 - what do you think of them?
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

geardoc

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the Shure Aonic 50 gen 1 headphones. I like their sound and am looking at the gen 2 version, eg.
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-Cancel...JF99/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Amazon reviews are kind of fuc*ed up, since they don't differentiate between gen 1 and gen 2.

Is the sound of gen 2 as good as gen 1? And, has Shure fixed the physical problems (top strap and earcups falling apart after a few months)? I just wrapped the top bar with some tape to keep it in place, but am on my 3rd set of earcups @ $50 each.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I'll wait a little longer. Maybe someone will review them. The $50 premium over the gen 1 appears to be for improvements in electronics and battery life rather than the physical construction.

Gen 1 from amazon:
  • PREMIUM WIRELESS STUDIO-QUALITY SOUND: Engineered from decades of professional experience. No cords. No wires. Just pure listening anywhere you go.
  • ADJUSTABLE NOISE CANCELLING & ENVIRONMENT MODE: Eliminate distractions for a truly immersive listening experience and hear the outside world with the flip of a switch.
  • BLUETOOTH 5 WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY: Enhanced stability and a range of up to 30 feet (10 meters). Pairs to phones, tablets and laptops.
  • UP TO 20 HOURS BATTERY LIFE: Uninterrupted audio wherever you go – on the train, on an airplane, at work or at home.
  • LONG-WEARING COMFORT & DURABILITY: Built to withstand the rigors of the road. Folds flat for portability with protective carrying case.
  • FINGERTIP CONTROLS: Quick access to answer calls, activate voice assistant, adjust volume, or pause your music with the push of a button.
  • PREMIUM HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER: Supports multiple codecs including Qualcomm aptX, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency audio, Sony LDAC, AAC, and SBC.
  • CONNECT TO WIRED SOURCES: Includes 3.5mm analog audio input to stay connected to any device, including airplane entertainment systems, or USB-C digital input for charging and High-Resolution audio.
  • ShurePlus PLAY APP: Customize your EQ, noise cancellation and Environment Mode levels. Free to download for iOS and Android.
  • IN THE BOX: Free 2-YEAR WARRANTY included, AONIC 50 Wireless Headphones, protective carrying case, 3.5mm audio cable and a USB-C charging cable.
Gen 2 from amazon:
  • PREMIUM, STUDIO-QUALITY SOUND through custom-engineered 50mm dynamic drivers. Developed from decades of professional experience made for critical listeners.
  • SPATIALIZED AUDIO technology uses a proprietary algorithm to enhance the depth of your listening experience by widening the sound stage without introducing unnatural artifacts. Available in three unique modes - Music, Cinema, or Podcast.
  • NEW HYBRID ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING (ANC) technology blocks out distractions for a truly immersive and natural listening experience improved over the prior generation.
  • UP TO 45 HOURS BATTERY LIFE with quick charge capabilities, more than doubling runtime from the prior generation. Fifteen minutes of charge provides 5 hours of use.
  • CUSTOMIZABLE EQ. Choose from multiple presets, or create your own using the free ShurePlus PLAY app. Saves directly to your headphones for a seamless audio experience across other apps and devices.
  • PREMIUM COMMUNICATION with clear call quality through beamforming microphone technology and proprietary automatic gain control (AGC) settings.
  • BLUETOOTH 5 WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY with a class 1 transmitter delivers enhanced stability with a range of up to 100 meters (320 feet).
  • CONNECT to wired sources with included 3.5mm analog audio cable or USB-C digital input for charging and High-Resolution streaming audio.
  • WHAT'S IN THE BOX - 1 pair AONIC 50 Gen 2 headphones, compact carrying case, 3.5mm analog audio cable, USB-C cable

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 8
Reviews on Shure's website are mostly positive as well, https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

However, one reviewer had the same exact durability issues that I had with my gen1:

"...Within the first 6 month period the ear cup leather started to come off. I do not do anything out of the ordinary, literally sit at my desk with them on. I would expect some issues if I were using these while exercising or similar. I was able to find a replacement cup that ran me about $60 from Dekoni and thought my issues were over...... Then the headband leather started separating and middle top portion of the headband started creasing and broke in the center. Again, I do nothing but sit at my desk with these things on. "

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Reviews on Shure's website are mostly positive as well, https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

However, one reviewer had the same exact durability issues that I had with my gen1:

"...Within the first 6 month period the ear cup leather started to come off. I do not do anything out of the ordinary, literally sit at my desk with them on. I would expect some issues if I were using these while exercising or similar. I was able to find a replacement cup that ran me about $60 from Dekoni and thought my issues were over...... Then the headband leather started separating and middle top portion of the headband started creasing and broke in the center. Again, I do nothing but sit at my desk with these things on. "
This is disappointing. Really liked the Gen 1. Bought them in 2021 and have used them pretty much everyday for 2 1/2 years. They are definitely my favorite out of my bluetooth headphones in terms of sound/tuning (currently have Aonic 50 Gen 1, B&W Px7 S2 and Px8). My earpads lasted almost two years before falling apart so I did not have that issue and I am still on my second pair of earpads. However, I noticed a sore spot on my head today and realized the headband on my Aonic 50s had broken in the middle (which also explains the lack of clamping force i noticed recently). I did not realize this was a widespread issue until seeing this thread and a few on Reddit. I was considering getting the Gen 2 but I guess I will hold off for now. The Px8 had to be replaced under warranty after only a few months so I guess the Aonic 50 lasted longer (although it is out of warranty now so it will be getting retired). They just don't make them like they used to.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 8
When my headband started to fall apart, I wrapped it it some padded bicycle handlebar tape. This padded tape is stiff enough to add structure to the headband. Also, the little bit of padding it has makes for tolerable comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back